Cameras/Photography

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by pvtbanks, Dec 28, 2019.

1. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Hello all,

I’ve been what you would call and iPhone wannabe photographer for many years. I’ve finally decided I’m ready to pull the trigger on an entry level DSLR.

I know a lot of you here also enjoy photography judging by the amazing photos a lot of you take. My question is, for those of you who are experienced, what’s the best beginner setup I should get, and where will I get the best deal on stuff like this? Obviously I can’t break the bank, but I do have a little saved up from Christmas.

I look forward to y’alls help, and feel free to drop some of your favorite pictures. I love a good photo.

Thank you in advance!

Seth

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hey Seth! Merry Christmas to you and your family, my friend.

I've learned a lot reading this website: https://www.kenrockwell.com/ I've followed this gent's advice on a basic Nikon DSLR and a Canon shirt pocket camera. The Nikon is currently doing a great job for me. The models and features change constantly, and buyers continue to get more bang for your buck. If I were in the market, I'd opt for something like this: https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3500.htm

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    brit and pvtbanks like this.
  3. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I
    I have a feeling you were going to be one of the ones to respond! We share most of the same interest. I’ve been checking out the Nikon, as well as the Canon T7. It seems you get many more accessories with the Canon, and I honestly don’t know enough about them yet to know quality difference in the camera itself. But as far as budget goes, the Canon looks really good.

Im searching for a breakdown comparison of the two now.

I haven’t heard from you recently! We are all doing well, just dealing with standard cold/flu season dramas. How have you and the Mrs. been? Are y’all on your trip currently?

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Nikon D7500. A kit including a telephoto lens, bag, and extra battery can be had for under $1500. Phenomenal equipment for the money.

wristwatchb and pvtbanks like this.
  5. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Unfortunately that’s out of my budget. I just placed an order for a Canon T7 that’s includes the kit lens, I want to say it’s an 18-55. Wide lens, and 2X Telephoto lens. All the charging accessories battery, bag, 50” tripod, cleaning accessories, cards etc.. The kit was $379. I did a comparison on the Ken Rockwell site that @wristwatchb linked and he said they are very similar to the Nikon D3500, and I was able to get a lot more for less. I guess time will tell how it is! It should be here Friday.

wristwatchb, BamaT and Sara-s like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sounds like a good starter setup.. I bet you’ll have loads of fun learning all that it can do. We look forward to seeing the pics you take with it.

7. brit

brit in a box

i bought one of these a few years ago but rarely use it.. 20191228_151939.jpg

8. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

What image hosting is everybody using now? I’m trying to upload some picture from when I drove cross country but can’t find a hosting service that works anymore.

9. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

D812E745-A3D7-4288-B1F8-BFD72EAA1234.jpeg

Attached Files:

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

11. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

12. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

0357F229-0543-4469-A178-A01E5D0E663B.jpeg
    These are all taken on an iPhone and have been backed up via ever album, which downgraded the image quality. But I’m still proud of them.

Shaver X, wristwatchb and BamaT like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That should be a fine starter kit, and I’m glad you got a tripod with it, you’ll find that really useful.

pvtbanks likes this.
  14. wristwatchb

Congrats Seth! You should be well pleased with the Canon T7 kit. I've owned two 35mm Canon SLRs. I still have my AE-1. I had so much fun using it that I'll never let it go...even though I don't use it anymore. Canon makes excellent gear.

We took a trip to the Mayo Clinic before Christmas, and we're planning to return sometime around March for my Bride to have a stem cell transplant. She's doing great with her treatments. Christmas was really nice - filled with family and friends. I hope you all are well. Please share some family photos when you can. :)

P.S. Thanks for not calling me out for addressing you as Zach. :scared003: It's not easy being an old man. :rofl:

BamaT and pvtbanks like this.
  15. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Thank you!
    I’m so glad to hear that everything is going great! I’ve got a few pictures we took recently. I’ll upload them now!

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

11DB874A-C413-492D-B791-63AD681706AB.jpeg
    Reagan, she actually turned 7 months today!

ischiapp, BamaT and wristwatchb like this.
  17. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

761A7C11-5E3E-46A2-9939-2ACFD070017D.jpeg I know Rhett’s a little blurry, but her refused to sit still.

Leo K., Ursa, ischiapp and 2 others like this.
  18. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

19. wristwatchb

Seth, you have a beautiful family! You are indeed blessed! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Shaver X, BamaT and pvtbanks like this.
  20. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I really am. I couldn’t ask for anymore. Keep me updated if anything changes!

BamaT and wristwatchb like this.