Camping and Fishing

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Michael_W, May 14, 2021.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I don't remember if I mentioned this on another part of the forum, but in December I was taken to the E.R. with extreme pain in my right side and inability to breathe due to the pain. Turned out I had a form of viral pneumonia in my right lung accompanied by a small blood clot therein, or something that looked like one on the CT Scan. Anyway, after spending several days in hospital recovering I made up my mind I was going to get outdoors and do the things I've been meaning to do all my life. Those include camping and fishing.

I've built up a small but decent beginner's tackle box kit, rood-and-reel combo, and net, and am also in the process of completing my basic camping gear set including tent, sleeping bag, fire-starter, etc. I expect my cot pad next week and will then obtain my cot, for off-the-ground sleeping (I got a pop-up 2-person tent for the job).

I'm looking for suggestions regarding camp cookware and utensils. I'm looking on the 'Bay and on Amazon, but so far all I'm seeing is the cheap garbage. I want something built to last, non-toxic, and that I can pass on to my kids.

Shaver X, lightcs1776 and cliffb599 like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Cast iron 10 -12" skillet

:eatdrink047:

Michael_W and lightcs1776 like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

This!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Michael_W likes this.
  4. Michael_W

I do have a cast iron Dutch oven with skillet top saved on my wish list along with a tripod, so those are definitely on my radar.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I throw rocks at cast iron skillets now that I have bought carbon steel pans. The steel is way easier to care for and builds up a nonstick surface that I can slide eggs out of. The steel pan is also much lighter than the iron pan.

PanChango, Edison Carter and Enrico like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

If you would be so kind as to give your recommendation of your fave type/style/brand of carbon steel pan that would be great for one of the curious outsiders like me.

Thanks.

Michael_W likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm looking at the Matfer Bourgeat Black Carbon Steel Fry Pan, 11 7/8". Quite a few give very favorable reviews.

Michael_W likes this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I don’t wish derail @Michael_W ’s thread on home use cookware.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michael, I hope you enjoy your outdoor endeavors. Please forgive my intrusion, but the carbon steel thing attracted me.

Bill

Michael_W and Enrico like this.
  9. stingraysrock

Yes Sir! Mauviel 1830 France is what is on the handle of the pan.

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/mauviel-msteel

PXL_20210515_221919279.jpg

Michael_W and Edison Carter like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

What kind of camping are you doing? Will you backpack and carry everything or more of a car camping? What kind of stove are you using or are you going to cook over a camp fire? Sorry for all the questions, but there are definite different answers based on the type of camping you are doing. If you are sleeping on the ground, get a nice comfortable pad.

I do a lot of bike packing / camping and have really slimmed down what I carry.

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I use a Stanley Adventure All-In-One Two Bowl Cookset and a Stanley stainless steel frying pan. Both are stainless steel. When archaeologists are digging up the remains of our civilization 3,000 years from now, that stainless steel cookware will still be intact. If you are backpacking in somewhere, the Stanley Adventure Nesting Two Cup Cookset might be better. It takes up less space and weights a little less. If you remove one of the cups, a micro camp stove and gas canister will fit in the cookset.

If you have not run across it yet, The Outdoor Gear Review is very informative.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOutdoorGearReview
    Search for cookware in the Search box on their channel and you will get some good results.

Michael_W and Edison Carter like this.
  12. Michael_W

I plan on cooking over a campfire, and I'll likely be doing a bit of both: backpacking and renting or buying a camper. I'd like to get my hands on a VW Westfalia or Vanagon, at as reasonable a price as I can find. Mind you, I'm looking at the specs on the VW T6 and it looks good, but I think I prefer the older models as they seem to be more customizable.

Shaver X and Edison Carter like this.
  13. Michael_W

I went ahead and got the Adventur Camping Cookware set. For $80 you get quite a bit and suits just about every camping cookware need.

Shaver X and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Michael_W

Hey, has anyone had opportunity to use a Teton brand tent? I got the Vista 2 Sports Pop-Up Tent and it seems to be a good product. Goes up easily and comes down easily as well. I look forward to using it in the woods, but I was wondering who else has one from Teton and what thoughts are regarding it.

15. stingraysrock

Wow! I just looked at this set and I am impressed. Nice buy!

Shaver X and Michael_W like this.