Can anyone hone wedge blades for lather-catchers

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by cpool222, Sep 15, 2012.

1. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I received a name of someone who does honing on straight razors awhile back so I could get someone to get a couple of the wedge blades shave-ready that are used with the old lather-catchers. I had some conversations with a guy who was willing to do them, but I've lost the name. Can anyone give me a name or two of someone who can do this? Thanks,
    Cleave

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Glen AKA Gssixgun should be good for this as he is the go to guy on this site for all things straight razor in the USA.

3. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Defiantly if anyone here can do it its Glen but I dunno if more then 2 or 3 of those blades will be able to be honed.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hmmmm, those look like thay belong to a Rolls Razor or something like it, Can you show me a pic of what holds them ????
    I have no probelm trying but I have to see how it works :signs002:

5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Glen, its for an old Kampfe Star razor. (See pic) Just curious, aren't they able to use regular se blades? I know quite a few of the old ones can (in general)

Edit: never mind...I see it has no blade catches at the end.

uploadfromtaptalk1347764349536.jpg

6. cpool222

7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    So if I am looking at this correctly they have to be honed "Freehand" there is no holder that sets the angle??? also what determines the setting for the width of the blade??? if I hone it and take off the bad edges and say it decreases the width of the blade by say 1/16 inch would the razor still work ???

8. cpool222

Glen,
    In this picture of one of my lathercatchers http://www.flickr.com/photos/77962778@N02/7994851484/in/photostream you can see the handle that has an attachment that served as the blade holder for honing and stropping these blades.

9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I have read the threads on all the forums.. and seen the pics now
    I have little doubt that they can be sharpened, I don't understand yet if they are decreased in overall width ie: from 7/8 t0 13/16 if they would still work in the holders..
    It seems that many of the guys have the same question or should :D Is there an adjustment to move the blade into cutting position ??? if it were smaller ???
    Without an adjustment I could see this as an effort in futility ie: a sharp edge that can't get close enough to cut..

10. cpool222

I guess this is a question I'll have to answer when I get them done. A honemeister on one of the forums has agreed to try the best two. The copper piece that pops up and holds the blade forward seems to have a little spring to it, so hopefully will be a little forgiving. I'll report the results.

11. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Glen, originally, most of the wedgies had adjustment screws that altered the degree of exposure by coming down atop the wedge. The ones I have are frozen in place, and far too small (probably a ~2-56 thread ) to be very aggressive in trying to adjust. Having said that, looking at the razors I have, you could've easily honed down about 3/16" before it would be near becoming too loose/too short.