Can anyone ID this razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Derhey, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

I celebrated the Holidays with my extended family today and, to my wonderful surprise, opened a razor from Larry at WhippedDog.com. This is my first straight and I excited to take her for a ride but I was wondering if anyone could identify the maker/year/country of origin? It looks like it says "Genco" but I am unsure. I find it funny that it has an engraved price of $3...the good 'ol days! It seems to be in very good shape and extremely sharp. Thanks for any help in advance.

Derhey

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419458000.994033.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419458050.195183.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419458102.994551.jpg

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It is indeed Genco and Geneva is Geneva, NY.
    Here is some high level info about the company and their product offerings

Yours appear to be a Genco De Roma which is described as;
    "Cream colored French Ivory scales with silver bands on either end of the razor. Square end to blade, reverse of shank shows: $3.00. obverse shows Genco with a banner with 'DE ROMA' and Genva over N.Y U.S.A."

The price for this model is all over the map ranging from $16...up to $90 w/ original box.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Bama Samurai and Derhey like this.
  3. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Thank you for your response. I think this will make an excellent "first straight" for me to hone my skills. Again, I appreciate your help.

4. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Wow, is a straight razor a challenge...yet fun. I went against all the rules and shaved my entire face and neck.,
    4x. Only one cut. Face ended up very smooth but neck was a little rough. I will take any advice if you are willing to share. Happy Holidays all!

Bama Samurai and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sweet! Looks like a solid razor...I cant wait to follow your journey through SR world. :happy088:

Derhey likes this.