Can Gillette TTO razors be dissasembled?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hodge, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I've got a couple Gillette TTO razors that could use some repair work that would be easier if the razor was disassembled. I Know the Fatboy comes apart as Ive seen pictures of it taken apart for replating.
    Are there specific tricks for each model? or are some pressed together and not meant to be taken apart?

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

There are several vids on YouTube that may help you. The adjustables are somewhat easy to disassemble, the Super Speeds, I'm not too sure about.

3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was being lazy and thought a quick ask on here would answer all my questions :D:D

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yes, it can be done. Some are easier to tear down, repair, and reassemble than others. Some are easy, some are nigh impossible.

The directions very based on the model and sometimes within a model they change from one year to another.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

A Made in England 40's Pat Pending Rocket Is what I'm specifically interested in getting apart

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

RaZorBurn123 and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thanks but the Rocket I have does not have a hollow twist knot, so no screw to remove....

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

OK...
    hmmm...

How about this youtube video then...

RaZorBurn123 and Omaney like this.
  9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Bravo!

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That almost seems tooooooo easy... I could do it. :happy088:

11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I watched that one but it seems that particular razor was damaged prior (base plate loose from the handle) which allowed it to be unscrewed. I thinking the manufacturer peened the handle/base plate conection as the last step, making this razor impossible to dissassemble without damaging it??