Can this Vintage Feather be restored?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Lyrt, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

My question is very simple: can the metal part be restored? It is a vintage Feather Pro 25 and, as evidenced by the photographs, the coating is seriously damaged as well as the metal below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hopefully Joe Chandler will chime in, he is currently re-grinding some Str8 blades for me that have worse corrosion then the Feather. I'm sure the metal thickness can play a role in that though.

I was able to remove alot of pitting and corrosion on some of my blades using wet-dry automotive sand paper. It requires alot of elbow grease, starting with a courser grit progressing to a finer grit, may be an option for you if you want to try that first.

3. Joe C

Joe C New Member

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I honestly don't think I could do much with that. You're dealing with not a blade, but blade holder, with a Feather. I could maybe clean it up, but I don't think I could put it back like new. I'll try anything once, though...twice if I like it. :D

4. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

From those pictures it looks like a loss of plating.

5. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

JP is right. It has lost plating and the steel has really been affected by the subsequent oxidation process. There is a lot of damage to the underlying steel and it may not be worth the cost and effort to spruce it up. It will never look new again, for sure.

It probably isn't worth the time to fix it unless the razor has high personal value.

To clean it up, dismantle it. Use 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and sand the rust off. Once most of the rust is gone, switch to 400 grit, then 600. At 600, you will be smooth enough to use some scotch brite to apply a brush texture to the steel.