Can you feel your facial hair growing?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Galactus, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Galactus

Galactus Member

Hi there, I'm currently 19 years old..I've been able to grow a beard since about 15 but it's never really developed round my upper or lower lip. I have an abundance of hair everywhere else on my face, even below my eyes at times. This doesn't bother me at all.

Lately, thicker hairs have finally started sprouting on my upper and lower lip. For the last few weeks though I've been feeling quite a weird sensation round my lips on and off. Similar to that tingly feeling you get around cold months. There doesn't seem to be any sign of cold sores or anything developing, and my skin is pretty clear...touch wood! It was a long time since I started growing a beard, but I have a very vague memory of having a weird sensation on my chin round that time, though it is too long for me to remember I guess I'm probably used to the sensation by now since I don't feel it in those areas anymore.

Does/did this happen to anyone else when they started growing facial hair?

srpavko likes this.
  2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Sorry but it's been so long I can't remember. When I started shaving we were still landing men on the moon. lol

old okie and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Same here like BigT I haven't had a beard for well over 34 years now and I've never shaved off my moustache in all that time..I'd say if it looks ok to you and it doesn't hurt, then just let it be...:)

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Lol back then it was hard to feel anything through all that TP mopping up the blood..:eek: I'm sure things will sort out as time goes on and like Platoon says, if it looks and feels ok, let it ride...

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am 42 and the hair under my lower lip hurts when it grows back. The hairs are very thick and coarse compared to the other whiskers. They hurt so bad I often pluck them so it takes longer for them to resprout.

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I don't feel my whiskers growing, but I notice them growing in thicker and more full. My goatee area grows in pretty thick, my neck and cheeks have some catching up to do. I can grow acceptable sideburns... seems like that took forever to happen. For the record, I'm 22.

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I seem to remember a similar feeling when my beard started coming in at 15. Seems like my beard has been thick and coarse since about then. I'm 35 now.

Any chance that what you're feeling is razor burn/ irritation? For a long time (into mid to late 20s) my face would hurt from bad shaves.

8. Galactus

Galactus Member

Hmm I'm not sure if its irritation..I usually only get irritation in the neck area. Got one particular bump that is just refusing to go away and hasn't gone at all in the past year...even if I don't shave for months and try and let it heal it just doesn't go away. It's not even an ingrown hair, I plucked hairs from it a while back and it didnt make a difference, and there doesn't seem to be any hair under the surface

9. old okie

old okie Member

When I started shaving we had not even thought about going to the moon let alone landing on it.

BigT likes this.
  10. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

I haven't worn a beard in over a decade, but do know that my face feels kind of itchy/scratchy at about a week into growing one.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Through the passing years, my facial hair has unfortunately, like me, grown coarser and more stubborn. :D

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Is that why you're grimacing in your avatar? ;)

HolyRollah likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nah, that was before I realized the importance of changing the blade out before it begins to rust.

Tuffy and swarden43 like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

To answer the opening question,, thankfully no!

15. Diamond

Diamond New Member

Hi, I'm 16 and recently shaved my mustache and beard and I'm experiencing something similar to what you talked about. My lips feel strange and have a very slight tingling feeling to them. I was wondering if you managed to find a way to get rid of the weird feeling. :)

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Holy necro post Batman!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm fairly certain it's just facial nerves being stimulated in a way that they aren't used to. The sensation fades over time.

Edit: The other alternative is that you and the original poster are both on the autism spectrum. They experience stimuli a bit differently than people who are wired 'normally.' My nephew is severely autistic, and I'm the only person who can cut his hair. Other people either tug his hair or use less than super sharp scissors. He can 'feel' the follicles being cut, and it registers as 'painful,' as best we can understand or tell. He requests a haircut every couple of months, so it can't be too bad.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I was in boot camp when mine really started (was paying very close attention bc we were ordered to shave daily whether we needed it or not). I felt nothing when the whiskers began coming in. I believe they're just existing hairs that thicken and darken.

zombie response, yes