Can you steam out a rubberset 400 knot?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Repr1, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Repr1

Repr1 Member

Hey guy, I need some help. I have a rubberset 400 that had a bad knot. I was wondering if it’s possible to steam one out. Has anybody done it? How did you do it? I don’t have the tools to drill it out and I don’t own a dremel, but we have a load of old junk pots and things I could steam it out with if it’s possible. I haven’t seen any tutorials about steaming out the rubber coated knot so I don’t know if you can.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I haven't restored one, but I'd drop it in a pot of water (after cutting as much of the knot off as possible) and boil the snot out of it. After 5-10minutes of a full boil I'd pull off the heat add some dish soap and let it soak. After 10 minutes I'd pull it out of the water and using a couple dry wash cloths, I'd wrestle the top ferrel from the handle.

:eatdrink013:

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I just cut down the knot as far as possible with a sharp knife. Then drill out knot. Using a forstner bit is how I did it.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Removing the knot is just your first step. You have to get the ferrule removed. Aluminum is soft and easily scratched. I would ask our friend from Cackalacky: @Jayaruh

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Rubber strap wrenches will be your best friend for getting the knot out of a Rubberset 400.

Primotenore, Enrico and brit like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ive removed knots out of aluminium handles, and the safest way is to boil it for 5 minutes or so. Hold the hot handle with a cloth, then grab the knot with some pliers, and pull. If it cools fast, just reboil, and continue.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.