Canadian (Victoria) vacation help needed!!

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Jorvaljr, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My fellow members ... specifically the Canadian members.. my family and I are planning a Canadian family vacation to Vancouver but we have no clue what to do there. So I told my wife that I would ask here for suggestions since we have memebers that live in canada... lol if you know of any good places to hunt for razors feel free to let me know that too ;-). We will be spending about a week in Canada and just need some suggestions as what are must see and must do.

Thanks in advance !!

Slipperyjoe and Pilotcld like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

One of the places that I have visited was Granville island Vancouver and they had glass blowing shop if it is still there, that was 25+yrs ago with a lot of small shops with nice walk paths.
    There's Stanley park also that has a lot of floral and open space also walking paths and of course there is Marine land with all the sea life but will cost some $ .
    I'm not one to visit large cities anymore if possible, I use to Scuba dive on Vancouver island around Sidney (South)and Campbell river area (northern) many years ago.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Thanks Ron!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

In BC you can do an “arctic cruise” where they take you along the ocean and bring you through the glaciers. It’s absolutely stunning. With the Rocky Mountains and the ridiculously beautiful water you will not be disappointed! Hopefully it doesn’t get too warm when you go as the glaciers melt and break away which can be difficult for the ship to navigate in certain areas but I highly recommend it!

Jorvaljr likes this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Stanley Park and Butchart Gardens

Jorvaljr likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've heard that getting around can be a little... um ... uncomfortable....

[​IMG]

@Slipperyjoe

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Like the vast majority of Canada, there is only one reason to visit Vancouver. Let me demonstrate with photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

God, I love to fish.

Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Thanks for the suggestions gents ! Lol my wife is not the outdoors type.

We may look into Victoria as well. Are there sights, food and other things we should visit

9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

This is really going to get Rich excited..all that raw fish..:eatdrink020:

Jorvaljr and richgem like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:drool:
    I'm suddenly hungry.
    You know, we eat about 13 pounds of fish a day.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Slipperyjoe and Jorvaljr like this.
  11. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

You can also visit Gastown and take a ride on the sea bus..both are close to each other.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  12. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I live in Seattle, and my wife and I have enjoyed several vacations in Vancouver and Victoria. Here are a few highlights that you might consider.

Vancouver is a lovely city. The skyline is dominated by modern tall buildings, but it is pleasant and walkable. We stayed in a classy ivy-covered old hotel within walking distance of Stanley Park called the Sylvia Hotel. We got to Vancouver on the Amtrak train from Seattle, which is a great scenic ride.

Stanley Park is big, so we rented bicycles to tour around in it. One afternoon on foot we found an Asian market and bought some dragon fruit. They cut it for us and we ate it while sitting on a bench by the water. Delicious!

We rode the subway down to Gas Town, which is the tourist district. We took a guided foodie tour through GasTown, which was really fun.

Victoria, by contrast, feels more like a big town, even though it is the capital of BC. A highlight there is English high tea at the Empress Hotel - fancy! If you like gardens, Buchart Gardens is a must. You have to take a bus ride to get there. There are lots of things to see in downtown Victoria on foot. We got to Victoria by riding the Victoria Clipper high speed ferry from Seattle. Oh, and be sure to try some poutine, which is French fries with cheese and gravy, a favorite fast food.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

13. Jorvaljr

Awesome! This info is what we were looking for. Great stuff. I’ll be sure to write this stuff down. My wife initially stated Vancouver but it turns out she wants to stay in Victoria we may go to Vancouver for a day or so.

MoAllen likes this.
  14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not just cheese. Cheese curds! :eatdrink020:

Whistler is beautiful, but a bit further north.

Jorvaljr, Slipperyjoe and MoAllen like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

science world,pacific center for shopping,stanley park ,vancouver aquarium, vancouver look out at harbour center,many antique stores. the copper hat on vancouver island for shave supplies. royal b.c. museum in victoria. victoria bug zoo.....i live in new westminster.right in the middle.lots to do depending on interests.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Fish ? What fish ?

DaltonGang and Jorvaljr like this.
  17. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

That’s not even normal fishing she’s a champ! Hope your well equipped if your going for those bad boys!

Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    I have been to Victoria several times. Both of these are excellent posts to which I really can't add anything.

brit, Linuxguile and Jorvaljr like this.