CANCELLED - TSD Mug Project - THE REVIVAL

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by S Barnhardt, Oct 20, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Coffee drinker, and mug collector here! I'm in for the small batch mug. I'd like to pay my share of the art setup and stamp fee, plus help to purchase the first donated TSD raffle mug.

I don't know how much glaze colors cost, but maybe we can entice the potter to lay in new supplies if our order requires something other that what she currently stocks.

The artwork may show best if it's simple and bold. Anyone with graphics skill might be encouraged to submit ideas.

brit, S Barnhardt and cliffb599 like this.
  2. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

How much do glaze colors cost? I have not a clue. If memory serves me correctly, the ones I've had exposure to were in 5 gallon buckets. Now whether they came that way or were just mixed that way for convenience, I have not a clue. I'll see what she says.

I've been working under the assumption that we were going to used the logo that's on the top of each page of the forum. Not that I'm locked into that, just what I presumed was wanted. Now, that being said, I'm open to something brand new if that's what folks want and @Queen of Blades is ok with us using her name with another logo? So, if there is anyone among us who is an "artist" and wants to suggest their version, let's hear it as soon as is possible before I give the stamp maker a go ahead on the original idea?

brit and RyX like this.
  3. S Barnhardt

I have started a "running list" of those who have expressed an interest in going forward with this and with their perceived preference.
    This list is located "HERE" at the top of the first post of the thread.
    Please take the time to check the list so you have an idea of where this thing stands and to make sure I have listed you correctly.

:thanks:

brit, RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  4. S Barnhardt

I know this is somewhat redundant, but if there is anyone who wishes to attempt a logo design of their own for this mug, please don't delay doing so. I've managed to put a hold on the required artwork for making the other stamp. They are now waiting to hear from me before proceeding!

:thanks:

brit, RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i am a stainless/tin cup kind of guy..most coffee mugs don't last around me very long.chips,broken handles.i rarely use my pottery shave bowl for the same reason..

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm the same way, usually get a broken handle or two. It's why personally I'd probably pick up one or two of the ones at Zazzle. I like the logo and being black & white.

RyX, brit, cliffb599 and 1 other person like this.
  7. S Barnhardt

DISCLAIMER

I do not claim in any way shape or form to be any kind of graphic artist! OK?

I sat down with a cup of coffee this morning thinking about a mention that was made of maybe another logo to use for this. So, to foment a discussion, hopefully, about this, I used the Paint program resident on my computer and, according to Google, public domain clipart and came up with this. Shoot it down, tear it up, and most important, if you're so inclined, come up with something yourself. I'm sure we would need to get the approval of @Queen of Blades to use it though since the name is hers. Let's talk??

logo 2 beta.png logo 2b beta.png

Shaver X and cliffb599 like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Same here. While I enjoy the creative process I am honest with myself that I'll never make a living as an artist. With that said, I'd offer advice to anyone giving it a go. I'll see what I can do, too.

Less is more. The side of a mug offers a limited canvas area. The medium of clay and glaze lends itself to texture and shadow, positive and negative space. So the logo needs be small with little detail. As the glazed melts and settles into the lower depressed areas it'll be more pronounced. Raised flat areas will show less of the chosen color. The Font used in the current TSD logo isn't in my collection, but here are couple others that might thrill folks. I didn't include Clip Art because I'm not sure the details will translate to the clay & glaze medium. The simulated lighting may illustrate how the glaze will thin on the upper surfaces and slip/slide to the bottom causing light & dark areas.
    Mug font.gif

9. S Barnhardt

My choice of these would be the one on the bottom right.

As for details of the clip art transferring, you may be right. From what I can gather, the stamp is used to "press" the design into the clay, or a separate piece of clay is used to accept the stamp and then is probably "glued" so to speak to the piece being made by the use of slip which is nothing more than a somewhat fluid consistency clay. I think "slip" is the right term. In either case, it's then dried, glazed and fired. I'm thinking the pressed design "can" be glazed for color separate from the rest of the mug. It introduces an extra step or two which can affect the price. Look at this and then look back at this item as a finished product and you'll see what I mean. logo 4.jpg

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds about right from what I recall from high school pottery class in the late '70's. The basic shape is spun on a wheel, the handle is hand formed and stuck on with wet clay, slip. The medallion could be made with a cookie cutter, stamped, and "slip" stuck on the side. This would give near identical repeatable shapes and logos.

If only one color of glaze is used, when it heats up, melts, and pools in lower areas and corners, there's concentrations of color. Using two or more colors may result in runs in the finish. That could be an attractive effect, or it might look sloppy. Won't know until the piece is finished. My personal choice would include a food safe finish since I'll drink coffee from mine, but would be important for lathering, too. I like metallic or dark finishes for the main coverage and variations wouldn't hurt my feelings. For the logo a contrasting color would set it off. Maybe red, white or blue for pop the way the cat stands out on the previous image above.

I looked up the cost of glazes. Assuming we can agree on a base color she has available, to purchase something new for the logo would run as little as $12 / pint. That would give us a Custom choice beyond her current finishes.

Shaver X, kjbarth, cliffb599 and 2 others like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My shaving mug has one color and and what looks like transfer glaze print with the vendor's name. The color is even and the print is legible. When I bought the mug, the River Junction website said it was made by a local potter. They do not sell this particular mug any more, but can probably identify the potter if you ask. It might be less expensive than trying to do it with multiple glazes, clay medallions, etc. It should be easy enough to make a transfer with The Shave Den logo and / or font.

Here is the contact info, in case you are interested:

River Junction Trade Co.
    312 Main Street
    McGregor, IA 52157
    563-873-2387
    866-259-9172
    https://www.riverjunction.com/

Hope this helps!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

RyX, jimjo1031, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  12. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Now that is a Classy Shave mug.
    Simple and sweet.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

13. brit

brit in a box

cool mug..

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    +1

RyX likes this.
  15. S Barnhardt

Nice shaving mug!

But what we've been looking at is a "coffee" mug type of thing. Not that it couldn't be used for this however.

Shaver X, RyX and cliffb599 like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Less is more. Nice form and the bold print on white background is distinctive and fashionably old school.
    + another 1!
    Besides resting a shave brush on the handle, that might work for coffee and a morning pipe.
    POTD 05152018.gif

kjbarth, Shaver X and S Barnhardt like this.
  17. S Barnhardt

11/07/2019 Update:

I've emailed River Junction Trading Co to see if they can/will tell me who made their shaving mugs. If/when they respond, I'll see what that person has to say and let you know.

I've had no more "takers" on the "coffee" mug we'd been talking about, so our total interest in that idea stands at only 4. I'm not convinced it's worth going much further, if any, on this version of things. Not meaning to sound all "butt hurt" by what I'm about to say, but I really thought there would be a lot more interest in this than has been expressed. Oh well.................

So far, interest in a "shaving" mug isn't any stronger, but we shall see.

More to you if/when I have more to tell about this whole thing!

kjbarth, PLANofMAN, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. S Barnhardt

I got an answer from "the powers that be" at this place. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I'd been hoping for. In a nice, I guess, way, the person answering me declined to tell me who had made theirs. Why they didn't, I have no idea, but they didn't, instead "suggesting" I find a local potter to make them.

So, I'd like to ask you fine folks for a "non-binding" answer to this question....

If we were to be able to come up with a "shaving mug" similar to this one with a similar type name style and placement, who would seriously be interested in getting one? And if you did, at what price point would it have to be at to cause you to actually "pull the trigger" so to speak and buy one?

So, if you would, respond with a "yes" (non-binding), and what would be the most you would pay for something like this?

As with the other survey on the imprinted cup, I'll post a running count on the first message in this thread. I want to see if there's enough genuine interest in this version before I go any further. I'll leave this open for a week - 10 days to give everyone a chance to weigh in.

Thanks!

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

YES, I'd be interested in a white finished mug with clear, easy to read text.

kjbarth, S Barnhardt and cliffb599 like this.
  20. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I second on what @RxY said.
    Price for a TSD MUG for me how much would I be willing to pay. I would probably go as high as 40 maybe on high end 50. Cheaper would be Better but what the heck you Only live Once.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

kjbarth likes this.