Cannot sharpen damascus steel razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jake A., Dec 25, 2015.

1. Jake A.

Jake A. New Member

I received a damascus steel straight razor for Christmas 2 years ago. Since then, I have given it to 3 other people (avid knife users that sharpen knives their whole lives) and they could not get a razor sharp edge on it. On Christmas today I received 3 different naniwa sharpening grit stones. 220, 1000, and 5000 grit. I ran this straight razor for 10 full passes on each grit and stropped in between. No matter how many times I've tried, I cannot get the razor to take hair off. It has an edge and it's clearly sharpening (grey matter build up and it is noticeably sharper than when I first started) but it is still nowhere near razor sharp. I am beyond lost as to what I can do to get this razor sharp. It is a beautiful razor: camel bone and Snakewood handle with damascus steel so I would like to not give up on it. Any suggestions?

Kizurra likes this.
  2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I know @JacobRayRazors makes Damascus steel razors...maybe he can help or get you on the right path...

Kizurra likes this.
  3. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Are there any markings or stampings/makers names/places of manufacture on the blade? Could you post a picture of the straight?

This query for information is actually quite pertinent to your question on sharpening this razor.

Kizurra likes this.
  4. Jake A.

Jake A. New Member

The case that it came in is from "Damascus Deal." I am pretty sure the maker is from outside the US so I did not bother sending it back for honing or returning because of shopping costs.

Attached Files:

Kizurra likes this.
  5. Jake A.

Jake A. New Member

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Man, I hate to be that guy...

That's a Pakistani blade that's probably as sharp as it'll ever get. I have a kitchen knife of similar appearance and it's a dud.

Sorry.

7. Jake A.

Jake A. New Member

I remember it was from Pakistan. And if that is true, I will stop wasting my time with it. It is impossible to get a razor sharp edge on it. Thanks for the input.

Kizurra likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's a shame. It's actually one of the nicest looking razors I've ever seen.

You might want to pick up some decent vintage blades and send one off to @gssixgun to be fitted with those scales.

45auto, Jasman, Kizurra and 1 other person like this.
  9. entropy1049

I had a bad feeling...

OP: Sorry as well. I don't know of a Damascus/pattern welded straight razor for less than ~$600 that is actually made to shave. On the bright side, some nice, vintage razors that will serve you well for a lifetime are within easy grasp for less than $30. Local antique shops, auction websites, and swap meets are great places to find good old straights.

Consult this information (it is from another forum and an excellent resource) to help you with your decision:

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/The_straight_razor

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  10. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Odd question....perhaps dumb question, but what is the allure/advantages of Damascus steel?

45auto likes this.
  11. entropy1049

Besides aesthetics? Absolutely none :).

Plus it's MUCH more difficult to make a blade from Damascus that will actually shave than it is to make a blade from a single bar of suitable tool steel (ex, O-1, W-2, hard stainless, etc.). Delamination is typically the result of any attempt to hone inferior pattern welded steel.

This being said, a talented, knowledgeable, and skilled cutler can produce excellent Damascus/pattern welded steels that are simply beautiful to behold, and fun-tastic to shave with...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah man, Tim Zowada is on my list of things to get....I want to commission a weekday set for when I retire and go over to str8s strictly....beautiful razors @entropy1049! That damascus is ridiculous. Who is that maker, I can't read script well at all.

entropy1049 likes this.
  13. entropy1049

The bottom pic is a Mastro Livi made with his own Damascus. It lives at my house :). Photo credit to HolyRollah, who snapped it when he had it for a seven day test drive. She's the TSD Calendar Girl for July,coincidentally. Testament to HR's photographic skills!

I have a Zowada Timahagane/meteorite custom being made as I write. I may be getting the slightest bit anxious to receive it :D.

David Green and battle.munky like this.
  14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I was able to hone an aluminum can on a 1k sharp enough to pop arm hair. I find it hard to believe that any steel can't become at least that sharp. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I could hone a credit card at least sharp enough to pop hair. I wouldn't want to shave with any of these things just like I probably wouldn't want to shave with this razor.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Heat treat is everything and if it is wrong the steel is too soft.

16. Honer

Honer Member

Yes, that looks like a Pakistani razor and you can use it for honing practice. But, your honing technique would not sharpen an Iwisaki. Save the 220 for knives. On the 1000 you need to set the bevel. That is the most important step and 10 strokes won't do it. Unfortunately the 1000 to 5000 is a huge jump and you won't want to shave off the 5000. The good news is Naniwa 1k is an optimal bevel setter and the 5k is also a nice stone (I assume Superstones) You can fill in the gaps with film which is inexpensive.

Lightly kill the edge on the edge of a glass. Have a fresh tomato handy. Cherry is large enough.

Now get the stone clean and wet. With light pressure, hone the razor (watch video for technique) until it can easily slice the skin at every part of the edge. Remember, the entire razor lays flat on the stone. Never lift the spine off of the razor. Then put some soap on the stone and with lighter strokes keep honing until it can shave arm hair just above the skin. I believe this razor is probably capable of that. There you have it, you have set your 1st bevel. This could take 15-30 minutes if you keep it light. Now you can move to the 5k until you get some film. See if you can maintain the edge you created while removing the deeper 1k scratches. It will not be shave ready. If you have a magnifying glass or loupe it will help.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    JacobRayRazors and SRNewb like this.
  17. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Yeah really good Damascus steel is as straight forward to hone as normal good quality carbon steel, it's much more difficult to produce and it looks beautiful when done correctly, here's my own 500 layer hand forged San Mai Damascus I've honed this razor and many more Damascus razors including Mastro Livi and Thiers Issard razors and they were all a pleasure to hone without any problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

Was that Damascus from Pakistan? or China or some other country that makes low grade steel. If it was one of these great rip offs, chuck it in the bin, and if it is Damascus your really looking for, you'll have to pay an eye and a tooth for it, like steel from Pakistan a razor for $8.95

19. Honer

Honer Member

Chinese razors should not be lumped in with Pakistani. Chinese razors specifically Gold Dollars, but also others , are made from very good steel. Once you mitigate the heavy heel they hone up easily and hold a a very good edge.

JacobRayRazors and battle.munky like this.
  20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The Chinese are definitely making some good steel. I don't even want to say the Pakistanis are all making bad blades. I just looked at that blade the OP showed and saw a "novelty" blade rather than a tool.

JacobRayRazors likes this.