Can't import soaps and creams

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BeShaved, Jul 1, 2016.

1. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

I just found out that Indonesian Post Office will not allow soaps and creams to be imported into Indonesia.

My package was intercepted and they insist on destroying the "cosmetics" or I have to re-export them.

This makes me mad and sad. Shaving softwares are very limited in Indonesia. Now, I can't even buy them from outside of Indonesia.

Well, I guess I have to make my own soaps and creams.

@Queen of Blades can you teach me?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  3. BeShaved

RyX, Robyflexx and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, looks like you are being forced to make your own soaps. This sounds like a good thing. Being that Arko, Stirling, and other soaps are too cheap and easy to get, for me, I haven't tried soap making yet.

BeShaved likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's a bummer, however, it does present an interesting alternative. Good luck with soap making.

BeShaved likes this.
  6. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

You might be able to find someone who could buy it, and then re-package and ship it to you marked BOOKS. Most packages are simply passed through the postal system. I guess you have to ask yourself if it's worth it -- hey, soapmaking may turn out great!

I think that shipping regulations in general are ignored with complete impunity more often than we might think. There is an online merchant in South Korea that might be able to ship to you. Qoo10 is the name of the site, and they have some shaving soaps on offer:

<a href="https://list.qoo10.co.id/s/SHAVING-SOAP?is_img_search_yn=N&sortType=SORT_RANK_POINT&dispType=LIST&flt_pri_idx=0&filterDelivery=NNNNNANNNN&search_global_yn=&basis=&shipFromNation=&shipto=&brandnm=&SearchNationCode=&is_research_yn=Y&hid_keyword=shaving soap&priceMin=&priceMax=&curPage=1&pageSize=60&partial=on&brandno=#anchor_detail_top"_blank" class="externalLink" rel="nofollow"><b>Qoo10</b></a>

Best luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

How many and what have you ordered? Maybe someone would buy them from you, and be redirected to them. Better then destroying them. Bummer.
    I'd consider a change of address, permanantly.

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like the books option as long as you don't wind up in some ghastly prison over the deal. Do you have any local soap makers who might help you out?

opsimath likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

If the products were repackaged as "sandwich spread" or "furniture polish" think they might be slipped in? Do you know why they ban cosmetics?

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I found a report that seems to suggest there are standards to meet, and tariffs to pay. Keeps you limited to in country made products.

opsimath likes this.
  11. BeShaved

Well,

I think it is a regulation to protect our own industry. But I suspect it mostly comes from a religious point of view.
    Indonesia is mostly populated by muslim. And since soap can have a tallow base, they will need to know if it is not from a pig (or anything haram).

Actually, I can import them but I have to register myself as a company, provide the invoice, and have the "cosmetics" tested. The first two are not a hassle but the last one is.

But again, just for a personal use I have to be a registered importer? I think that is an overkill.

RyX likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

You are not purchasing case quantities, only single "for personal use" sized products?
    Those of us in the U.S. take for granted a society that allows us to do things that might cause self harm. Then there's the religious freedom we enjoy. Much personal freedom comes at a price - being responsible for you actions.
    For you, seeking ingredients locally and making products in country reminds me of a conversation you and I had a while back. I hope you are able to reproduce the soaps and other products many of us enjoy.

BeShaved likes this.
  13. BeShaved

This is the path that I likely to follow. I have to reproduce the soaps and other software. Might have my own brand. LOL. For now, I am just sad.

Eeyore, opsimath and RyX like this.