Captains Choice Copper Bowl

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Zed117, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

My ceramic bowl broke after several years of use. The copper is a nice upgrade, really hefty and the hammering is a nice detail.
    754340B1-7479-4526-8B32-8C713DC8AB4F.jpeg 1FC6F359-F118-4635-8FB6-9F5A3B0BA7DD.jpeg 4BF37F43-FB49-4020-9931-B604BCB9CF5E.jpeg

BigD, wristwatchb, Enrico and 10 others like this.
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Nice looking bowl. I bowl lather and currently rotate about 6. And I've been eyeing this one for a while now as it's one of the few that has seemed attractive enough to belong in my den. And I love that if you drop it, it won't break. I have two ceramic bowls and have no desire to add any more ceramic ones. But a copper one is a different story. Your enabling seems to be working.

Enrico, RyX and Zed117 like this.
  3. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

I’ve only ever had the captains choice bowl, one of my very first (of way way too many) shaving purchases. It survived a few falls but not my cat.

I had to upgrade
    83AC3EEE-AC9F-4ED4-BA11-60D51F6361F2.jpeg

BigD, Enrico, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  4. MntnMan62

Your cat must have been jealous of all the attention you've been giving your shaving bowl and accoutrements.

AGHisBBS, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

That copper bowl it very interesting. If I may ask, where did you get it from?

brit, RyX and Zed117 like this.
  6. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Captains Choice

brit and johnnyflake like this.
  7. MntnMan62

It's widely available. Not just direct from Captain's Choice but I see it listed with Maggards, Shave Nation, West Coast Shaving.

AGHisBBS, johnnyflake, Zed117 and 2 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

love mine..it's available as regular or heavy..(thicker copper)..i opted for the heavy one..:)

AGHisBBS, johnnyflake, RyX and 2 others like this.
  9. MntnMan62

Two options? Regular and heavy? Darn you enablers. Now I really want one and would go for the heavy one as well. As Herman Munster used to say "Darn darn darn darn darn darn!"

Sara-s, AGHisBBS, johnnyflake and 3 others like this.
  10. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

The heavy feels similar in heft to my old ceramic bowl, the regular is half the weight of the heavy according to the site.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  11. brit

brit in a box

the heavy.. 20190807_231309.jpg

BigD, Enrico, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

brit and RyX like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

14. MntnMan62

I have one of those turkish hand hammered copper and tin lined shaving mugs. I like it. But something tells me I'd love the Captain's Choice copper bowl in the heavy version. The turkish mug is very very light. That's not a bad thing necessarily but I do like to hold something of substance in my hand. And I find it to be a tad too small. This CC bowl looks like it would see regular use in my den.

brit likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Actually this one is solid copper as well with the same diameter, but a full inch deeper.

Captains Choice Copper 4.5 dia by 1.5 deep

Santa Clara Copper 4.5 - 4.75 dia by 2.5 deep

Not that I've purchased either one .... just showing differences and options.

:eatdrink013:

brit likes this.
  16. MntnMan62

I've seen those Santa Clara bowls listed when I was thinking about buying the turkish mug. I like the geometry of the Captains Choice better as the bottom of the bowl is the same diameter as the opening of the bowl. And that makes the more shallow depth even better. I don't need another bowl. I don't need another bowl. I don't need another bowl....

Enrico, brit and Zed117 like this.
  17. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Do they have the weight listed? Looks like a thinner sheet of copper.

The Captains Choice bowl whipped up lather just like my old bowl, but kept it hot due to the copper absorbing the hot water heat and retaining it better. Interested to try a cold water shave next.

brit likes this.
  18. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Gave it a polish.
    0D64196A-760D-45C5-B2C6-462FA0EB565B.jpeg 03FD5B22-3209-477E-87EB-E8D8E5EA0917.jpeg

Herm2502, Sara-s, BigD and 3 others like this.
  19. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

You guys made me do it!
    The heavy ones not available at Maggards ow WCS.

So I ordered from Captains Choice ......about $59 shipped.

Should be just the right bowl for my new brush I received today from Griffith!
    ( I mean, I can't DISRESPECT my Mammoth Griffith by putting it in a PLASTIC bowl!!!)

Herm2502, brit and BigD like this.
  20. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

The regular bowl is not half the weight of the heavy bowl. This is common misinformation. The heavy one differs at the rim, which is not rolled. They had to make it slightly heavier to accommodate the non-rolled rim.
    It is 7 vs 10 oz.