Captain's Choice Lather Bowls review!!!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by chrisf8657, Jul 29, 2015.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

[​IMG]

Before I read about some of the virtues of bowl lathering, I was always a face latherer.
    One thing that I kept reading about was reviews like the one I'm going to post, how the lather explodes, etc.

I tried the Captains Choice bowel and within 30 seconds I have massive amounts of lather - so much that I had to cut back 50% on the amount I was using. I've used it several more times and same - massive lather in short time - even with Soap. Just to make sure this wasn't a fluke, I threw some cream in a regular tupperware bowl and mixed. Took me forever to get lather going vs. the Captain's bowl. Those ridges are a powerhouse! Another great thing in how the bowl is designed, is no matter what I did later didn't spill out and over. It all stayed in.

This is a great product guys! It saves time...The great thing about it too is you can put a small smidgen of soap, or preload and then make lather in the bowl and have creamy, dense gobs of lather in a shorter period vs non-ridged bowls.

So check them out if you want - www.captainschoicestore.com.
    They are a tad steep at $24-27 depending on size, but they'll last you forever.

2. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

I like the looks of it:)...but not the price.:(
    I suppose it's worth it, since it will last a lifetime and does work.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I picked up one of the bowls Ralph used to sell on Knockout Shave (no longer available). It too has the ridges and is shaped well to keep the lather in. It's one of several bowls and scuttles in my rotation.
    image.jpg

Omelmad and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks for the review. I've always liked the look of these bowls, but always wondered how they would perform.

Omelmad and chrisf8657 like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I have one also. It is a great bowl.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

+1

7. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I just ordered a 2nd one (large size) , so I may PIF the one I dont need to someone curious.

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good for you.

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I have both sizes of CC lather bowls. I like them both, but to me they both have their downsides. I really think the ideal size, for me, is actually somewhere in between them. Overall, I think I like the bigger one slightly better, but I still reach for the smaller one more times than not. Weird.

10. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I kinda feel the same way… if only he made it in-between the two sizes they'd be absolutely perfect.

11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

very nice! there is not as much mention of the type of bowl used (if bowl lathering) or the type of towel used either. I have seen the M&F towels but that's it.

12. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean, is there a question I can answer?

13. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

Here's lather I whipped up with a cheap Escali in 45 seconds with a smidgen of TOBS St. James no bigger than the center. I added a little too much water but it was almost mixed right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    txskimo, Cheechako and Omelmad like this.
  14. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Recently I have been thinking of lathering bowls. But I'm a face latherer. I don't want to spend money on something I won't use =\

Slow Joe likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Just get a 5" suribachi bowl off of eBay if you want exploding lather.

txskimo likes this.
  16. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

The cheapest was 15 $ shipped and it was the 12cm one. The bigger one 16 cm was 16€ and 10€ shipping. I must decline haha

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Dang. I picked mine up for $5 a couple years ago. I didn't realize the prices had gone up so much.

txskimo likes this.
  18. JamesFavre

JamesFavre Active Member

Nice review. I've been looking for a good bowl, especially one that's thick just in case my toddler knocks it down... I'll have to convince the wife that this is a good investment (she can already sense the impending ADs) lol

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  19. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I am tempted to purchase a proper lathering bowl. At the moment I mostly face lather and am satisfied with that. But I do prefer bowl lathering for creams and new/unknown soaps.
    But I want a proper handle, like a tea cup. I find that much more convenient than just holding the bowl instead.

I have considered a bowl from Steve Woodhead in the UK, but have yet to pull the plug

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I don't think thats a steep price at all. If you go into any pottery shop or hand made housegoods and look at the price of hand thrown and glazed pottery bowls, it is very much in line. My wife has six serving bowls in the kitchen that are hand thrown and glazed. I don't like to talk about what we paid for those. It did make it easier for me to justify the hand thrown soup bowl/mug I use for lather.

chrisf8657 and 178-bplatoon like this.