Carbon or stainless

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by West Muss, May 23, 2023.

1. West Muss

West Muss New Member

I have been DE shaving for two decades and would like to make the switch to a straight. My question after reading all these posts is should I start with a carbon or stainless blade. I have read that SS will hold an edge longer therefore I could get away with just stropping so I could work on my technique longer before having to have it honed, or should I just not even consider carbon or ss and just go with the style Ilike.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    Karl G likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I prefer Carbon Steel.

Zykris, Karl G and Axeman556 like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    So many myths continue in our hobby

Buy the one you like, SS is Stain Less not impervious to rust, it is actually not often tempered as Hard as Carbon, it often is more abrasion resistant, so honing on Naturals can take longer. Nearly every Synthetic Hone is designed for SS there a few designed for Carbon Steel..

The type of steel should come into the decision making process if you live in a Humid Climate, otherwise get what you want...

These are just facts to consider so you have them

ps: I am really trying to think if I even own a SS razor, but then again I live in North Idaho so Humidity is at a comfortable 50%

Zykris and Karl G like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have a Wapi that is stainless and I have a Torrey that is carbon, both honed by Glen, aka @gssixgun . I like them both, but the shave experience is different with each. If I had to choose between the two, I would grab the Torrey every time.

Zykris and Karl G like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have booth and honesty can’t tell the difference when I hone them or shave with them. As long is it quality steel and ground properly you are good to go.

Karl G, Zykris and gssixgun like this.