Carbon steel VS Stainless INOX

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mike-R41, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Since I started using traditional straight razors over a year ago I’ve only been accustomed to Carbon Steel.

First was a few Gold Dollars , then my first nice razor was a Theirs-Issard “EVIDE SONNAT”, then I purchased a vintage J.A. Henckel “TWIN”, then a Dubl Duck Special No.1, then I traded that one for a Theirs-Issard Wolf & Sheep. I traded a $60 razor for a $300+ razor! Then I sold that and got my very first stainless steel razor. One I’ve had my eyes on for sometime. The J.A Henckel 72 Golden Checkered Friodur INOX.

before I ever got it I have heard The differences between the two (Carbon & Stainless).

that stainless steel holds an edge longer but it harder to hone because of how incredibly hard the steel is.

The face feel of the carbon razors is more forgiving I believe.

Even though I have a preference for Carbon I’m still going to give it a try and keep it. It’s a beautiful razor and I’m sure I will get used to it.

I honed it using my Naniwa SuperStones at a progression of 1k 3K 8k then finished with my 12k then did about 30 laps with CromeOx on my “poly webbing” or “linen /cloth” side. I was told it’s poly webbing but not sure how many people use that term or are familiar with it.

here is a picture

60885C6C-49A6-4C91-BC72-CB1ACFF27794.jpeg

Karl G, DaltonGang and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You have been told some myths

They have been repeated so often many believe them

SRs are High Carbon Steel, They are Tempered to a harder edge than SS razors

They can, all things being equal take a "More Fine" edge than SS you have to watch the term "Sharper as that is determined by the angle (16-17° Included on most SRs) not just the steel..
    Basically when it comes to other tools / knives the Carbon Steel can hold an edge at a lower angle than the same in SS soooooo it is "Sharper" but if both are at the same angle then the "Sharpness" is the same.. Make Sense ???

SS is sometimes said to be harder to hone BUT (Huge Large BUT) it really depends on the hones, your Naniwas will handle both easily .. Your older Natural stones have a harder time with SS because it is more Abrasion Resistant and they don't cut SS it as well as modern Waterstones..

Carbon Steel holds the edge longer..

Face feel MIGHT be related to the finer grain of the Carbon steel, however when we did blindfold shave tests at the meets, there was no clear winner between the two

I know it is exactly opposite of what you have heard, but if you do a little more reading on the forums you will find it all to be true

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  3. Mike-R41

Thanks Glen, yeah I was told that stainless edges last longer. So which do you prefer. And you have to pick lol

Karl G likes this.
  4. Mike-R41

And was told they were generally harder as well. And tbh I kinda believe that because it look a good while to get any metal swarf on the stone’s compared to my carbon blades. It also took longer. But other than the hardness, face feel, and time of honing , my technique did not change.

Karl G likes this.
  5. Mike-R41

My most comfortable razor I have to give to my Dubl Duck Special No. 1 11/16 Square Point

so smooth and cuts like butter

ED19C303-499D-443C-806D-B8B914EC5752.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Karl G likes this.
  6. Mike-R41

Also one would think that something like the hardness of the different metals would be objective….not subjective lol

Karl G likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It all depends on how well a blade is honed, as to how it feels on the face. The quality of the metal determines how long the edge will hold that edge, shave after shave. Some with poor quality steel, will never take a very sharp edge, compared to others.

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  8. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Carbon steel actually holds the edge longer, oddly many Knife guys aka Chefs find Carbon harder to hone :)
    The Hess #44 is considered by many of us to be the finest SS blade out there you should try to find one of those and see what you think, or maybe the DD or C-MON SS razors.. You are making a judgement of SS razors based on your experience with only one razor

Now as to what I like, they are mostly Japanese, and the very fine grain steel of NY made vintage razors.. Those are pretty much exclusively made of Carbon Steel, but I ain't selling my Hess #44 anytime soon :p

It is more Abrasion Resistant not harder, this is why there was less swarf, it might take more strokes but that has many more variables other than just the temper (hardness)

You like TI razors, the C135 or Carbonsong TI's are one of the hardest tempers you will find, try one of those out (Rated at 66 HRC when released, I think they backed them down just a touch after the first few years to around 64 HRC)
    I actually only hone those on the Naniwas like you have, because they are so hard, and tend to get the "Sparklies", the Naniwas with a misty slurry eliminates that issue

It is objective, Carbon steel for razors is tempered to a harder HRC point, you can test them quite easily, Josh Earl did so back in 2008 on SRP on quite a few vintage razors..
    He is the third person that helped prove the Bevel Bevel Bevel theory of honing Randy Tuttle aka RandyDance, Myself and Josh set out to prove the issues people were having with honing wasn't because of "Overhoning" but actually from a weak bevel set.. Took longer than you might think for us to make that into what you all know as fact today

I can only give you the facts....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Karl G, Steve56 and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. Mike-R41

Thanks for the info as always Glen! I’m actually about to use my Friodur for the 2nd time in a little bit. I’ll get used to it, it’s like a new car… Text a little while for you to get adjusted

Karl G likes this.
  10. Mike-R41

Yeah I had 2 Theirs-Issard razors. A Evide Sonnat and a wolf and sheep. Never had a problem honing them. I didn’t have a problem honing the Friodur either I just could notice a difference between the steels.

The only reason I got rid of them is because I wanted something other than extra hollow and I was getting tired or rather bored with them and wanted to try something else like a half or 1/4 hollow.
    and I figured I would either trade or sell them to buy something else.

right now I just have 2 gold dollars , the Friodur, and a Dubl Duck.

Karl G likes this.
  11. Mike-R41

Yeah I believe you, you never steered me wrong yet. Oh yeah and by the way about 2 weeks ago was my 1 year honing /Straight Razor Shaving anniversary :shaver.

Karl G, PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  12. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

I try to always give all you guys stuff that has been proved over the years, so much "Info" is thrown out there especially on FB, the forums tend to separate the wheat from the chaff because all the past info is archived right on the forum for all to see..
    I am not saying there isn't good info on FB it is just often overwhelmed by the Myths that are often repeated over and over..

Happy SR Anniversary

Karl G and PLANofMAN like this.