Carborundum barbers hone

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Mr. Oldschool, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I was just wondering if any of you fine folks that do honing here have any experience with the carborundum barbers hones. Do they have a place anywhere in the spectrum? What are they good for? I have one because it was cheap, but I don't really hone so I can't tell if it has any usefulness when properly applied or not. I think I can get slight improvements from tugging edges by using it, but I'm never sure if it's just wishful thinking. Whadaya think?

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have several, but haven't tried them out yet. My Welsh Slate Stones are getting the job done well, so far. If I have time, I will try them out, on a new Gold Dollar razor, and see what happens.

3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Keithmax and brit like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I consider them "finishing" hones. Useful for maintaining/touching up an edge, but they will take forever to put an edge on a very dull razor. Most are smaller than a serious collector of straight razors would prefer to use.

I like to use them for the final few strokes in a honing progression, just to smooth out any rough edges.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and brit like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I got one with a razor purchase but don't use on my collection.

Billyfergie and brit like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I use one regularly. I have a three line Swaty that keeps mine shaving sharp. I usually do a dozen or so shaves and do a half dozen laps on the hone and then strop. Two years on some and this is the only thing done to keep sharp.

brit, Jayaruh, Keithmax and 2 others like this.