Carolina BBQ Sauce

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Lexicon Devil, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

In the Carolina's and Georgia to some degree, BBQ sauce is often made with a mustard base rather than the traditional tomato base seen in KC style sauce. This is a mustard base sauce that I have been using for a while. I don't make pulled pork without making this sauce to go with it.

1 cup mustard (start with regular yellow mustard, you can get adventurous later)
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    2 tbs ancho chili powder (the queen of the chili powders)
    2 tbs fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Mix these ingredients and simmer for about 30 mins. Then add the following ingredients.

1/2 tsb soy sauce
    2 tbs I salted butter
    1 tbs liquid smoke.

Simmer for an additional 10 or so minutes. I usually let the sauce cool and then transfer it into a ketchup style squeeze bottle. As stated earlier, this is a great sauce for pulled pork and could be used on any other barbecued pork product. It is a little sweet for beef I would think but I haven't tried it on beef yet.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Sounds good. I just picked up a Boston Butt this evening.

I am not much of a vinegar fan, but do like rice wine vinegar. Have you ever tried it with your recipe?

Most of the others are just too strong for me.

3. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I have only used cider vinegar but I think as long as the vinegar taste component is met, whichever type should be fine. I do not find the sauce particularly vinegary but tastes vary. You could probably reduce the amount of vinegar used, just be sure to taste it often while it is cooking and adjust to your preference.

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I lived on the Cape Fear River in Wilmington, North Carolina for four years. The vinegar/mustard base BBQ is a staple in SE North Carolina and NE South Carolina. It only took a few bites to win me over. Our Men's Club at my Church did an annual pulled pork BBQ fund raiser with hush puppies and collard greens. It doesn't get a lot better than that! I still prefer the "Red", but the vinegar/mustard sauce will always have a place on the plate!! This brings back some great memories. It might be time for some "Carolina Comfort Food"!

...and I had a beard!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David Green and Lexicon Devil like this.
  5. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

I was stationed in Goldsboro NC while active duty. My first taste of "Carolina" BBQ was a surprise and not well received. Previously BBQ meant tomato based such as Texas or KC style. After the initial shock I did learn to appreciate and enjoy this vinegar based concoction. There was a family owned BBQ place called Grady's that was my Favorite. They still cooked there pork in an outdoor pit, whole hog went into the BBQ, and there deserts were outrageous.

David Green and Lexicon Devil like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I enjoy the vinegary & mustardy kick of Carolina sauces, especially on pulled pork. I still have a preference for smokey, sweet tomato-based BBQ sauces, but I do like the change-up.

My brother live in Charleston with his wife for about 12 years. He, like me, is a California native, but he was transplanted first to Austin, TX & then to Charleston. He grew to love Texas BBQ, and, naturally, to despise the Carolina-style.

Different strokes...

David Green likes this.
  7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like a sauce with a good amount of Vinegar. Sounds delicious

Lexicon Devil likes this.