Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Folks,

Gotta do the carpal tunnel thingy next week for my right wrist. I know it is subjective, but any words on post surgery discomfort, recovery, how long before you could do heavy lifting? The surgeon says 10 minutes, local numbing, 3 stitches, splint for a couple weeks, 8 or so weeks recovery.

Appreciate any experiences you can share.

RyX and Hembree like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've had it done on both of my wrists. During the procedure, you'll feel the Doc working on it, but it's not painful. Recovery time can take that long and it just feels sore. Full recovery can happen on some people but not all, mine was real bad before it. I still have some numbing and loss of strength, but not nearly as much as I had before the procedure. I was lucky in that the Doctor who performed the procedure is also a cosmetic surgeon and my scars are barely visible, unless you really look for them.

3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

8 weeks!?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

A ligament has to be cut to reach it, 6-8 weeks the norm for healing.

Hembree likes this.
  5. BigMark83

I had both done, minimally invasive and was only out for two weeks each time.

Hembree likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

I had six weeks paid time for mine, for each wrist, and mine were in bad shape. That's why on mine, I was told they wouldn't be 100% back to normal, and they aren't. Plus mine was work related and got a pretty good settlement for them.

brit, BigMark83 and Hembree like this.
  7. BigMark83

Maybe it's because the Dr caught it early and I'm younger. But I know it does take at least a year to fully heal.

jimjo1031 and Hembree like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember something like that being told to me.

BigMark83 likes this.