Carrington Custom--25mm silvertip badger dense-pack knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Codfish, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Codfish

Codfish Member

[​IMG]
    I received my first official custom brush by Gary Carrington in Monday's mail. First, let me say I love this brush!

Gary and I have been talking about synthetic brushes and brush design and restoration for some time. We both continue to follow synthetic manufacturing developments, and he knows I have not used a natural brush in years.

I've been tempted to re-try good quality badgers, and Gary's offer to build one for me was something I jumped at. Together, we talked about knot and handle selection, and my preferences for color, stain, finish, weight, balance, size and loft. I wanted a medium stain in a dusty-rose/walnut color. I like the look of natural wood grain. I prefer a solid heft in a mid-sized handle. The brush specs:

·Knot: ACE Shaving 25mm high-density (24.5 mm actual size)
    ·Loft: 49mm
    ·Stain: Custom
    ·Finish: 3 coats polyurethane + 1 coat cyanoacrylate (CA)

It's been some time since I used a natural badger, let alone a silvertip. I had nearly forgotten about what they are like compared to synths. Remarkably soft and luxurious. Different backbone (a little softer) and an amazing bloom.

Here are two photos. The first (above) is of the new brush as I received it from Gary. The second (below) was taken after a single use, while the brush was still damp. It compares the new brush to a Mühle 23mm V2 (with over 100 uses) to the brush after a single use.

I really like the medallion detail on the bottom. It adds another touch of class, but is not visible in either photo.

No wonder so many shavers like naturals!

[​IMG]

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well Jim, I will help you out on the base view. Here it is.

[​IMG]

I am glad you are enjoying the brush!

3. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Gorgeous!!!

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a shot of the brush including the downward shot displaying the brush tips.

[​IMG]

ohpaos likes this.
  5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice!

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Thanks!

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It really is. Enjoy! Here is a Carrington 22mm with a silvertip badger knot.
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.