Cartridge vs. Double edge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gsan, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I used electrics for over 40 years. My face was always sore. Then I tried carts for a couple months. My face hurt when more and more I have ingrown hairs. Then I tried a DE in 2014 and was immediately happy. Once I got the technique right, not that long, I've had closer, more comfortable shaves ever since.

Herm

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When comparing carts vs DE and Schick razors, having smooth shaves, the cart shaves would have a stubble appearing more quickly. Other razors will make me have a smoother skin for longer periods of time.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I used an electric shaver or cartridge razor for 25 years, and a safety razor for the last 13 years. All can do a good job.

Cartridge razors are more forgiving than safety razors if too much pressure is used - up to a point. The fixed-head cartridge razors are also somewhat less sensitive to bkade angle than safety razors. Of course, pivot cartridges do away with blade angle concerns altogether.

Safety razors have the advantage that they are cool looking and use less expensive replacement blades than cartridge razors.

Both cartridge and safety razors can give great shaves, as can electric shavers. All three can also give bad shaves. Technique really does trump tools.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Why not try them both and see which one works best for you? Whatever you eventually go with, it is more important to get a comfortable shave than a close shave. Once you are getting consistently comfortable shaves, then is the time to start fine tuning your approach to get closer shaves.

No shave, however close, is good if it is also irritating.

Lancre, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Better, and closer shaves with DE razors, if done properly. Now, even better and closer shaves cane be had with Straight Razors. But many don't possess the nerves to master the Straight Razor.