Cella Crema da Barba - is there more than one kind?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by gadabout, Jan 29, 2016.

1. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Whenever I see any discussions of this soap, it's always described as having an almond scent. I ordered a sample from Maggards a few months ago. What I received definitely did not have an almond scent. In fact, it smelled pretty awful to me. So, is there more than one kind?

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think that is the almond scent you are smelling.

3. gadabout

Doubtful. I love almond scent. I have three almond-scented soaps and creams, this doesn't smell event remotely close to any of them.

4. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

no he is saying that "IS" the almond scent that is described.

5. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

The Cella scent is pretty artificial and sweet - but I would not describe it as awful. Though some don't smell almond or marzipan, they say it smells like Dr. Pepper or Cherry Coke.

And there's only one kind of Cella, sold either in the red tub or in a 1 Kilo block

6. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I would say remember that scent is not only subjective but can have different tones....sandalwood scent is a great example of this, they can smell so different from one another...and im not disagreeing about the "almond" scent, as I smell Dr. Pepper and not almond.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Cella is one of the few shaving soaps that can go rancid. That's likely what happened here.

Billyfergie and Erik Redd like this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

:signs011:
    Was the sample a creamy white color? I understand Cella turns a bit brown when rancid, but am not sure.

I've read a couple of reports of this with samples. It may be because they are transferred to non-airtight containers and no telling how long it's been since they were transferred.

9. gadabout

Here's what it looks like. I'd think that container does a good enough job of sealing it, right?

image.jpeg image.jpg

10. gadabout

What's the difference between these two, other than the size of the container?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Although I rarely use Cella, I enjoy it whenever I do. I've never noticed it to go rancid.

SpeedyPC and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Well - it looks yellow/brown(ish), so I think if it also smells funny it might have gone bad. A new Cella is almost white. And the sealing itself can be a problem. If the soap has been used, is wet and the wet container is sealed airtight the humidity might accelerate the spoilage.

May I quote myself here ;)
    In other words: same soap, different packaging.

macaronus and PLANofMAN like this.
  13. gadabout

The scent now is the same as when I first received it.

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I have only used the Block Cella..Its like soft soft soap that comes in a block that you can cut like cheese..The Cream is more of creamier substance & some folks say they perform the same & others swear by the stuff that comes in the block..The Cella you have in the white puck is sold as a sample size & should be a whiter colour than that...Sound as if you have just got a bad one ...When a soap goes off it will smell Rancid..Cella can apparently keep for a longtime depending on the environment..If it doesn't have a definite Almond or Marzipan type Smell then something is wrong with it..No bones about it..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Spyder and gadabout like this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Cella should have a sweet marzipan smell, like others have said. Because I shave at night, I make it a point to air out my soaps, overnight, then seal them up, in the morning. My wife isn't as good at airing out her tubs of shave soap, and at times, they can get a funky smell to them. I've also tossed some that were sealed up wet, for a few months. They started growing fuzzy brown mold.

16. Fossambault

Fossambault New Member

it says "Almond" on the sticker under neat the container. Also, mine is a month old and began as a white color. Now the top has alight skim of a tan color.