Celluloid Rot

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PalmettoB, Aug 1, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I read Bill's blog entry about celluloid rot, and then kinda forgot about it because most all of my razors' scales are black (horn or celluloid), and Bill notes that celluloid rot almost never happens to the black ones.

But I noticed on my Kabeso Razor Works 5/8 spike (used to call it a "rustbucket" because that was how I got it off Ebay, but I cleaned it up so that there was only minimal staining left) that some of the staining was getting darker again....oh, crap.

Sure enough, I noticed a spot where the scale color was significantly lighter, and the pattern of "rot" was almost identical to what was returning on my blade. The scale had not begun to come apart, but there is a lighter pattern. (Bill, if you read this, the scales were a blond "cracked ice" pattern.)

Well, I like this blade and I thought it was worth saving. So I drilled through the pivot pin and got those scales off before they could cause anymore damage!

I am not really in a place where I can make my own scales (just don't have the tools), so I ordered some from Classic Shaving and will replace the rotting scales with some "Pakkawood" ones. I'll post pics when I finish.

Just thought this was something you str8 razor guys should be aware of.

2. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Something else to keep in mind is the fact that a contaminated razor with celluloid rot can "infect" other razors stored with it... black scales or not.

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Yeah, I read that part, too. :( Fortunately, I kept this one off on its own, and have kept a close eye on my other scales since I noticed the problem.

4. BOGARTUS

BOGARTUS New Member

In another post on another forum posted that I tried to save rotting scales by coating with CA. It did not help. With the razor put back together and ziplock bagged,still rust. After new scales, no rusting. Its been months.