Changing blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FancyRamen, Nov 26, 2015.

1. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

So I finally got to the end of my first pack of Gillette sword blades. I just bit a big(ish) bullet and bought a 100 pack of Astras as my next set of blades.

Are there any comparisons out there between these two blades so I can prepare myself for my new blades?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Love Astras. Currently the only blade I use.
    That said, I would never recommend a bulk purchase of a blade. You may hate 'em.
    I would recommend sample packs, as I am sure others would suggest.

Blades are too YMMV. I know folk who love Astra and Voskhod. Me, as I said, Astra the only blade I use, but I really don't care for the Voskhod. Go figure.

Mike Brown and gorgo2 like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I find Astra sp and Ladas very similar, only that Ladas gets three shaves and the Astra seems like four.

Boojum1, dbersh and Paul6506 like this.
  4. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

I am currently using a 5 pack of Gillette Silver Blues.....They are ok but so far my favorite is the Astra SP. It just works in any of my razors.

Primotenore likes this.
  5. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

The Astra SP is my favorite blade. Smooth, sharp, and reasonably priced. I bought 200 awhile back and I was delighted to get a price break along with a one size fits all shipping charge. If you are at all unsure, then the sample pack is the way to go. But, once you're quite sure, go ahead and place a large order -- reap the benefits of buying in bulk.

As far as what your Astras will feel like, the blades that have a similar smooth/sharp profile, at least for my beard, are the Polsilver Super Iridium blades. They, however, are considerably more expensive.

6. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

Thanks for the info. Worst case scenario is that I don't like them and pass the savings on to you nice folks.

7. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Astra SP are really good blades - you should be fine. And you'll find a small assortment of blade samples in my PIF Kit you won ;)

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Seconded re: Voskhod.

Astras are great; I just happen to be out of them at the moment but always enjoy using them.

swarden43 likes this.