Cheap but good AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by NoahG, Apr 14, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

I'm getting pretty good results from my Masters Bay Rum AS, but not so much from the Pinaud. Can anyone recommend some more like the Masters? Is the Boosters stuff anygood? BTW I do have two samples of the TSD AS on order as well (Blue Juniper & Lemon Cedarwood)

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you didn't like the Pinaud because of the burn, or was it because the Masters is more moisturizing?

If you like Masters performance, I would check out Aqua Velva musk, it also contains glycerin and is very cheap. Its an after shave / cologne and it smells much more expensive than it is.

I borrowed one of Bruce's old pictures hopefully he doesn't mind!

[​IMG]

3. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The entire Masters Line is worth looking into. I like their BR, Musk and Topaz scents. Another brand along the same lines is Stephans. I like their BR, Spicy and Island Lime scents.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Superior 70 Bay Rum.

It's about $2 a bottle.

5. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

+1 on the superior bay rum , you can add thayer alc free witchhazel to hand to mix them with any bayrum to cut down burn as well

6. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

Master's line is great. Lord and Master, Lilac Vegetal and Challenge are my favorites. Also the Stephan's Island Lime is very refreshing.

Check out Appleton Barber for a full list of aftershaves.

7. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Great price! Where can I buy it?

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I found it at a bodega across the street from my work.

Look for a pharmacy or bodega in a Latin neighborhood.

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue, the best bang for the buck if you ask me. Master Lilac Vegetal is a fantastic splash as well, the scent is fairly mild so you can splash it on without fear. It just doesn't linger as long as the Pinaud products. The Gillette series smell pretty good and do a good job as well, all of these are less than 6 dollars.

10. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Thank you Dale!

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Boosters is great stuff. I like Polar Ice, Jickey, and Aquarius, they are all barber shop scents. Boosters has a better moisturizing component than Masters.

Of the Masters, Spice and Topaz smell the best but the Astringent is the best in skin care the line offers, its for sensitive skin , has some aloe , as Masters go , its more soothing than the other scents.

At Walmart, Gillette Series Cool Wave is very nice, good skin care and cologne scent. I would definitely pick-up Adidas Dynamic Pulse, nice scent but really exceptional moisturizing for a aftershave, both about $5.

12. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

If you like a little menthol, Barbasol Brisk.

13. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I like florida water for a cheapy. 3 bucks or so. I also here nice things about the pinaud clubman line alothough I havent tried any. Jovan musk is a classic if you can wear it.

14. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

+1, it's as if you stole the words right out of my mouth. :)

15. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

What more can I say about these.."it's magically facial delicious"!
    for $10 for 12oz..will last me a very long time x2 bottles

ST

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  16. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

It should be said that much of what is called aftershave in the Pinaud line of products is not aftershave at all. Look for the word "aftershave" on the bottle. For example, their Virgin Island Bay Rum is not an aftershave even though many people use it as an aftershave. Lilac Vegetal and Clubman are actually prepared for the purpose of being aftershaves.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Clubman Rob was/is a legendary poster , expert and I mean authority on all things Pinaud .He shared a tid bit from a brochure Pinaud distributed to barbers. It recommended dashing witch hazel and their bay rum together in the hand then applying. It works , you get the great scent of the Pinaud without that hellish burn.

18. NoahG

NoahG Member

Wow... there's definitely a lot out there to choose from. I had no idea, then again thats why I'm here, to steal all your precious knowledge and bring it back to my alien overlords, err learn new stuff!! With the preference of the Masters over the Pinaud Clubman its both the less burn and the more moisturizing. I need an astringent, but not so much as to set my face on fire. So I guess I should look for glycerin in the ingredients then? Sigh... ASAD here I come.:ashamed001

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Might want to check out Mantic's new video on aftershaves. Its a real learning tool. It will definitely help you figure out what kind of a aftershave will work for you.

20. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

In the cheaper splashes yes, they generally use glycerin as a moisturizer, I will point out though, if you indeed enjoy the scent of Clubman or any other purely alcohol based splash, you can pick up some 444 balm and mix with whatever splash you want, it won't interfere with the scent at all.

Its $5.47 Canadian

It mixes very will with the Clubman, you get that quick burn, then a cooling wave from menthol and moisturized skin, add more or less for your skin complexion.