Cheap Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hairy Alaskan, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

[​IMG]

So I bought this razor from the Shoe Box Shave Shop for 3 dollars. The shave was pretty painful (even with a new blade) as there is a huge gap between the blade and the comb/bar. The description claims that the comb/bar is "finger adjustable." I assume this means by bending though the bar feels pretty solid.

Anyway, the shave was pretty bad but the handle is quite nice and might make a good replacement for folks that don't like the current handle their razors have. At 3 bucks it's a pretty good deal for a decent non-slip handle.

2. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

try different blades..pretty lookin though!

3. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Tried 2 different ones which were both painful. I took the Lord Platinum out and put it in my EJ 89l and got one of the best shaves ever.

4. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

lol..try palm stroppin yer blades..perhaps it will help (Maybe?)

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I've seen those listed there, and I always wondered what "Finger-adjustable guard bar" meant, I guess now I know. Thanks for the mini-review.

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I too am not entirely clear what finger adjustable means, do I just horse on the bar with my thumb until it's looks about right or what?

7. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

"Finger adjustable" is a phrase they're using to describe their metal handled Mundial Classic razor now, which costs $7.49. There's a certain interest in finding really cheap razors that are still good, but sometimes cheap is just cheap. I like Shoebox Shave shop, and recommend them to people from time to time, but I think I'd pass on this razor.

Now I just know that somebody will mention a frequently recommended cheap but good razor, sold by a vendor here for about that price. :D

8. F.G.R.X

F.G.R.X New Member

Don't know if you guys get it in the US but in the UK Wilkinson Sword sell a DE with 5blades brand new for £4/$6, anyone seen this before?

http://www.wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/showroom/classic

Anyone reckon there's any point in buying it for that price, I know it's cheap as hell but what's the point if it just plain sucks, I can buy more blades at that price! ;)

Doesn't look fantastic either, nice to see though that one of the originals is still making and selling DEs in major shops & pharmacies/drug stores

9. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

That razor is pretty favorably reviewed, see review here:

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?ltr=T&t=1813

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Arising from this, what do the folks here think is absolutely the cheapest DE razor that is still good? That's new in package cheap, no fair counting the great vintage razor you found at a garage sale for 50 cents.:rolleyes:

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I have a Dorco plastic D/E that gives very good shaves, just not with the ST-300 blade that comes with it.

12. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Look at the price of 5 blades next to it - discount those from the package... your razor is costing even less... all you've got to lose is blood :happy102

13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

this razor was one of my favorites before I found my current setup.

14. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

They could've told their model how to hold a DE, for Pete's sake!

15. 2dollaryo

2dollaryo New Member

i dont know much but i'm diggin the sleek black styling of that classic indeed. I'm on a mission.

16. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

+1

I have seen that razor sell for as little as $6. It is an almost exact duplicate of the late model 1970's Tech, and is a wonderful razor. :D

17. geneaut

geneaut Member

I'm currently using the Lord Tech clone with Derby blades. I wish it were a bit heavier, but it works fine so far.

18. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yeah, its weight is its main drawback. Otherwise it's an awesome razor.

19. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Feather Portable from pauldog was excellent and costing about 8 shipping plus 2 feather blades. Solid construction and nothing "cheap" about it