Check this out

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PatrickA51, Mar 28, 2014.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What a waste. That's just peanuts of the amount of waste this country throws away!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

"The plant was shut down in September 2012 after its products were linked to 41 salmonella cases in 20 states."

I think I'm okay with them throwing the rest away. :)

Shaver X likes this.
  4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I think the product was made after they re-opened the plant. I have no problem with them destroying the product if it was exposed to the Salmonella bacteria, but this stuff was made after the plant was allowed to reopen. Just a waste of food when there are homeless people and people living in poverty in this country.

5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The article specifically says it was tested safe but they threw it away anyways.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Even if you couldn't eat it you can shave with it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

It's a great food health wise, but I can't stand the stuff. This makes 0¢… Give it all to charity, claim half on charity & half on losses.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. Chuck F

It also says they were leaking peanut oil. If I offered you a jar of improperly sealed peanut butter made by a company that's going out of business because it poisoned dozens of people with bad peanut butter, would you feed it to your kids? Would it matter if the company said they tested it and it's okay?

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't, and I figure if it's not good enough for my own family I wouldn't want to pass it off on someone else, either.

10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Just give it to the prisoners and hope it saves our tax dollars.

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but the creditors likely did not have a way to quickly guarantee which jars were good and which, if any, were contaminated. Remember, this stuff came from a plant that was shut down due to contamination problems. It would be irresponsible to do anything other to destroy the product in this case, especially given that food poisoning can be fatal.

Chuck F likes this.
  12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I understand your points. But...

1. If your kids had no food and someone offered you this peanut butter for them, would it be good enough for them then?

2. It doesn't say they were leaking peanut oil. It said costco didn't like them due to 'leaky peanut oil'. Leaky peanut oil has nothing to do with a leaky package. It's a natural effect of peanut butter, where a little oil pools at the top of the jar. You do a quick swirl with your knife and it's gone. The thing is, cheap peanut butter like Jiffy and those are made so they don't leak. If your peanut butter leaks, it's actually a sign of a higher quality butter.

PatrickA51 and fram773 like this.
  13. Chuck F

I'm familiar with natural peanut butter where the oil separates, it's what I prefer. But I've never had it leak out of the jar. I have to think they mean it was leaking out of the jar, not just pooled at the top inside the jar.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

This thread is escalating in a JIF.

PatrickA51 likes this.