Chemistry Majors -- Answer me this?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by vegasvics, Feb 8, 2012.

1. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

Sometimes my post-shave routine includes an astringent (Keihl's Blue to be exact). I find that if I follow that with an ASB, it will "pill" up on my face instead of just blending in. I'm assuming that it is a reaction between the two products.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any explanation of the incompatible ingredients?

2. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Not a chem. major but what happens if you mix the two in your hand? Does the Keihls bead up and float on top? Keihl says that it is used for oily skin and recommends using a cotton ball to apply.

It might be the Camphor that causes the beading up on he skin like waxing your car and the water beads up. It wouldn't be the WH causing that and I wouldn't think the humectant they use would either. Sorry I haven't been much help just talking it thru.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have a Chemical Engineering Degree. Without ingredient lists, I can't say for certain what is going on (even then, I haven't dealt with cosmetic chemicals in years). My guess is that the balm contains a polymer (silicon polymers are common in cosmetics) that is getting cross-linked by compounds in the Witch Hazel (which contains several oxidizing agents that can link to the polymer chains). So, the shorter chains of polymer in the balm would be chemically glued together by components of the witch hazel to make a solid polymer.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

:signs011::happy097::happy097::happy097:

I have no chemistry degree. That sounds like a good solid answer.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I was just getting ready to say the same thing!;)

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I blame the valence electrons. ;)

That's all that I can remember off the top of my head regarding chemistry and bonds and stuff.

Hanzo, GDCarrington and CyanideMetal like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes, they seem to be floating culprits in many things! :happy102:

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I know that if I apply a Milk or Lotion to an area where I have used Alum it will not absorb into the skin, but sit on top like a mask. Irritating as all get out!

9. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Well, when you are using an astringent or Alum, you are closing off the pores of the skin to help tighten the skin and therefore not letting anything soak in.

That's my non-chemical theory and I'm sticking to it. Last time I was involved with chemicals I darn near forgot the 60's.

10. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

I've been using Kiehl's Blue followed by their ASB for - I don't know, over 20 years - and have never had that problem... What ASB are you using?????

11. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

I've had this problem with several, including Speick and Clubman

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I know I get this type of "pilling" when I apply lotion after a shower, when I don't use a loofah or similar.
    I'd say it's soap residue. But that's really just a theory.
    I don't have this problem when I use some type of scrubby washcloth/loofah/bath poof.