Chicken with Roasted Red Peppers and Italian Herbs

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Bluesbishop, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

This is another chicken dish that looks fattening, but it is not. Great for low fat and low carb diets. For a side I simple made a simple dish of zucchini with fire roasted tomatoes, but this dish would be great with pasta!

Sometimes trying to eat "diet food" or trying to eat healthy can seem boring, but this dish has very little fat (the cheese totals about 3 grams of fat) and only around 6 carbs

This dish is so easy to make, almost no prep time and only 20 minutes to cook, dinner and side in under 30 minutes total, a dish you can make any weeknight for your family and feel good about what you are feeding them.

Ingredients

2 chicken breast, split (4 pieces from two breast)
    1 12 oz jar of Roasted Red Peppers ( I use Vigo)
    2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
    1 teaspoon of dried oregano
    2 cloves of crushed garlic
    1/2 14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
    2 teaspoons of low fat Parmesan cheese
    2 slices, cut in half of low fat provolone cheese (4 pieces)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a shallow baking dish arrange chicken pieces, and sprinkle with Italian herbs, oregano, salt and pepper.
    Remove peppers from jar and tears pieces to cover Chicken...I used about 3/4 of the jar, but use more less based upon your love of peppers :) Pour half or more of the contexts of the vinegar/ liquid of the pepper jar into the pan and spoon fire roasted tomatoes equal over chicken and bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and put one slice of the provolone cheese, and sprinkle with parmesan. Turn oven on broil, and return under broiler till cheese is bubbly and turning a golden brown.

Serve with your favorite vegetables or pasta

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I must be the world's worst Italian. I hate any kind of bell pepper. Just the smell of them makes me nauseous. And I hate onions unless they are sauteed or fried - and since I'm on a no fried foods diet, I lose one of those. And the only way I like garlic is as garlic salt and I put it on everything it seems - and I only use Lawry's coarse ground with parsley which I buy in the restaurant size bottle at Sam's Club.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

Ok Jody, time to turn in your membership to being Italian...membership is revoked! LOL:p

Ok...you say no fried food...but sauteed isn't fried...healthy fats in moderation like EVOO is always ok in Diets....
    you do realize I've been posting all of these healthy recipes for you....just avoid my peanut butter cupcakes! You could modify this recipe using fire roasted tomatoes ( Hunts makes a great one) and use garlic powder or salt instead of real garlic ( for the love of God!! Your great grandmother in rolling over in her grave!)

IAmTheJody and GDCarrington like this.