Chinese half blade head

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 25, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I picked up this half blade/single edge head for $8 shipped on a Chinese marketplace site. It uses a snapped in half double edge blade. I have shaved with it once with half of a Feather blade. It was an excellent shave but I don't like having to bend and snap DE blades. At the bend and snap points, it leaves a little bit of curve which causes the head cap not too fully seat.

So I am curious what pre-made half blades you fine folks are raving about.

SE_20210425-102323.jpg SE_20210425-102230.jpg

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Hey Jody how's it going..thanks for the review. This razor looks an interesting one. There's probably a few more around, but the ones I know of are Derby, Shark, Personna, Sharp and Crown. These I think are the same as the full size blades so if the blade works in the DE, they should be good in the half blade SE.

3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Looks like a Yaqi head. I have shaved with the Yaqi head and it shaves great. I have used snapped Astra SPs in mine with good results. If the snapped part is giving you a fit try trimming with a pair of scissors.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  4. Slipperyjoe

Ya that idea does work too...

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

That curved piece from the break is supposed to help keep the blade in place.

6. IAmTheJody

Yes, that's the name of the first one I saw so I did some more searching and found this same one with no name for $4 cheaper. I reckon as with a lot of things from China, they are the exact same one made in the exact same factory, just sold under different brand names.

7. IAmTheJody

Maybe so but it also keeps the cap from sitting down flush. Plus I have noticed that the blade bed is scratched now, at one of the curved blade break point spots.

I decided to get some of the Red Royal half blades. Those seem to be ones held in high regard for half blades, and made somewhere else that isn't Turkey, India, Pakistan, China. That's not commentary on those countries or people from those countries as obviously I bought this Chinese head... it's commentary on their blade quality. I've never gotten a good shave from any blade brand made in those countries.

Enrico, Hembree, jaro and 2 others like this.
  8. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Good luck

Hembree and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. IAmTheJody

Thank you!

jaro and Hembree like this.
  10. Slipperyjoe

That's great..please do let us know how it goes...

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. IAmTheJody

So I have four shaves in on this razor with half a Feather blade and I have to say I am really impressed with it. I do love my vintage Lady Eversharp (Schick) K1 injectors as well as my Schick-International Silver "Paul Revere" injector, so
    I somewhat expected this from a similar half DE blade single edge razor. But this thing has been superior. BBS everywhere! Probably my favorite razor already.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Slipperyjoe likes this.
  12. Slipperyjoe

Good the half blades worked out for you Jody. In case you ever want to try out your feathers again in the razor I remember from a brief foray into shavettes that the blades can be cleanly cut in two with a scissors. And for more safety it might be done while still in the wrapper. There's usually some kind of markings that show through to act as a guide.

IAmTheJody likes this.