Chipped tooth?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by txskimo, Jun 21, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

So when I was brushing my teeth this morning I saw something small in the sink but didn't pay much attention to it. Later on I noticed I had a chip in the top of one of my teeth but it doesn't hurt like I would suspect it would. Has this happened to anybody else? I don't know when I can go to the dentist and even when I do go I'm not sure I'll be able to afford what it will cost to fix it. I tried to find a picture on Google but nothing really looks the same as mine but it looks like a chunk of enamel is gone on the top of my tooth.

The more I started to look into it there was a bunch of stuff online saying teeth can and will actually heal themselves which is something I've never heard before. If that's the case and it doesn't hurt then I might as well see if it will fix itself right? I'm not sure why I even made this post but I've been up since about 2:30 looking for advice from everybody but dentist although if I could fix it without them why would they tell me that lol

:Edit: I found a picture that looked similar just on another tooth
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    bnccna2 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sorry to hear that. Dentists have a frigging nerve to charge so much. :(

RaZorBurn123 and txskimo like this.
  3. txskimo

I have insurance through the marketplace but it's down right now and I have absolutely no idea what I have.....they didn't even send me cards they told me to print my own. I think I'll hold off on a dentist until it causes me actual problems and see if by diet and other things I can't get it to start to heal itself.

crackstar likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I can tell you from my own experience, the sooner you address the issue the cheaper it'll be. If you let it go to long you may lose the tooth. Find a dentist that will take payments or work around your insurance

John Beeman, Bristle Me and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I had something similar happen to me a few years ago before I started seeing the dentist regularly. I have never mentioned it to my dentist and he has never said anything odd about that area on my x-rays.
    My thought on the matter; tartar buildup broke off.

Maybe Google that and see what you come across.

6. txskimo

No it's not that, I updated the original post with a picture that looks similar to mine. I have some Temparin I thought about using to protect it temporally.

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

+1.

8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I've had teeth chip on the corners, but never one one the face like that. You should see a dentist soon. If the chip is deep enough or there is a crack that goes down to the root you could risk an infection and then have to go thru a root canal. An initial office visit shouldn't be too expensive, and then you'll know what the options are.

John Beeman likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :signs011:

John Beeman likes this.
  10. txskimo

I can see nobody is into home remedies and natural healing lol

I'll go get an opinion hopefully this week as I was able to log on and find my insurance information

11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Now that the enamel is gone, there is nothing to protect the inner parts.
    I don't think the tooth will "heal".
    No matter how often you brush or how clean you keep your mouth, it's going to let
    the bacteria in that will lead to decay.
    I agree with RazorBurn 123 completely.
    If you think it will be expensive now, just wait until it decays further
    and the pain starts killing you. Then you'll need a major overhaul just to keep it.
    It's your tooth, but I'd get myself in now and get it fixed while it's small.
    Dentist's have some pretty amazing tools and materials to work with these days.
    A little grinding around the dent, and some putty that hardens when exposed
    to ultra-violet light, and you'll be good for another 20 years.

PLANofMAN, RaZorBurn123 and txskimo like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I concur with some of the earlier responses aboveā€¦
    "You can pay him (the dentist) now, or pay him later."

Now
    is definitely the cheaper of the two options.

John Beeman, RaZorBurn123 and txskimo like this.
  13. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Well this is an embarrassing story but I can give you details on the "healing" part. I think it would have been around my 20th birthday that I was out celebrating with some friends. A lot of celebrating and we all got very drunk. At some point the next day I discovered that the bottom corner of my front tooth was missing. I have no idea how this happened and neither did any of my friends. Till this day it remains a mystery.
    It didn't hurt unless the something touched the exposed part of the wounded tooth and it would be really sensitive and painful. Now I can run my tongue over it without any problems.
    Here is the weird healing part. All my front teeth are straight except the chipped tooth. It's grown at an angle, so that the chipped part of the tooth is in front of my other front tooth. Basically my body has changed so that one front tooth is a shield for the injured one. Fascinating process but it did mess up my smile a tiny bit.
    I would go to the dentist if I was you.

14. txskimo

Scheduled an appointment for Wednesday afternoon we'll see how much he says to fix it. I have some other dental work that needs to be done as well but the last dentist quoted me around 1k I believe so I never went through with it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm glad you decided to go. Wise decision.

txskimo likes this.
  16. txskimo

Well not sure if it was a wise decision or not. The total for everything they want to do is $1891. Naturally I can't afford that so when I asked about payment plans they showed me this medical credit card. Interest rates are ridiculous but I suppose when you offer a service people kind of need you can't really complain. I think I need a job making six figures and all my stress would disappear lol

RaZorBurn123 and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    $$$ is not the answer. It creates new problems.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Me and my son were just talking about the same thing.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You need to find a different dentist.

Oftentimes there are clinics for low-income/financially strapped people to go to. Dentists will charitably volunteer their time, pretty much all you have to pay is cost of materials or a flat $20-50. It's generally first come, first served. The one time I needed to use it, I showed up an hour early and still had to wait behind three other people.

The tooth repair will be temporary, but it will buy you a year or two to go in and have it repaired properly.

Make some calls, man. :)

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  20. txskimo

I went ahead and paid the 1886 today and got four fillings done so far. Now I have a crown to get as well as a deep clean and some follow up appointments. The credit was 24 months intrest free and I figured if I pay 50 bucks a check I'll have it paid off in 10 months. I'm not overly excited about the whole deal but hopefully after this dental problems will be done.

Intrigued and Bama Samurai like this.