Choosing A Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Veg, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Veg

Veg Well-Known Member

Ok shave den ladies and gents. How about some brush recommendations. I'm looking for 2 recommendations for semogue and 2 for omega. I'm looking for one brush that emphasizes softness and one that emphasizes backbone for each brand. Thanks for any input you may provide. If you would like throw in a recommendation for an all around brush that works well both for face and bowl lathering that would be great too.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Only experience I have with Semogue is a 1305 that came to me via Randy @BaylorGator. It was already broken in and qualifies as "soft". It is my understanding Semogue boar knots arrive new in a fairly soft condition.
    Semogue 1305 PIF from Randy BaylorGator.gif

My favorite manufacturer of boar knots is Omega. Know that I like a scrubby knot with backbone. One of my first brushes was an Omega Pro 10098. The black plastic handle is not a show winner, yet the shape and construction is functional and durable. It's the knot that makes it a winner. With a 27mm diameter by 65mm loft - it's a big unit. I liked it so much I bought another to harvest the knot for a Rubberset 400 replica.
    Omega Pro #10098 & B-400 OP98 knot.jpg

3. Veg

Veg Well-Known Member

I had a 1305 several years ago. I don't think a gave it a fair chance. I was new to traditional shaving and I think I was the trouble not the brush. Is the omega 10098 knot the same as the 10049 or is it higher loft.

Frijolero likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I see the 49 listed as 27mm X 59mm. Never had one.

I did enjoy a #20248 - 27mm X 64mm - dyed to look like two band badger but all boar knot. I passed the short fat chromed plastic handled 48 on to another TSD member. Early in my Wet Shave Journey I read about and tried a cleaning procedure - diluted vinegar rinse/soak. Supposed to remove mineral deposits and soften bristles. I lost the scritch and didn't enjoy the brush as much afterward. Here's a photo of the 48 next to the two 98s.
    Omega knots.gif
    I found I prefer the shape of the 98 over the 48. The Barbers Brush profile fit my big hands better.

jtspartan, Frijolero and brit like this.
  5. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

The first brush I bought when I came back to traditional shaving was a wilko sword cheapo...about £4, very soft and sparse..no stiffness at all, So after reading a few posts I got a proraso brush and proraso soap...this was a huge step up for me and the difference was night and day...I now realise how important a decent brush is...the proraso for me right now is just about perfect, good stiff backbone but softer at the tip..I have a coarse beard and I like to get a good scrub at it, I dont know anything about soft brushes and why anyone would want one unless you intended to dust your face with powder... Obviously thats a joke....but if someone would like to post the pro,s of a soft brush I would be interested... Those brushes the op mentions are a few steps up from what I am using and I would think it would be like me going from the wee wilko to the big proraso brush...a big jump in quality.. I will be following this post with interest... If I could get a better quality brush with the same or better qualities I would go for it...sorry I can't give advice, but I' m sure it will be along shortly.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Check the bottom of that brush handle. It just might be an Omega!

I started with a "Marvy No.4". It's the O Pro 98 pictured above.

7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

The mixed badger and boar 11047 Omega was a pleasant surprise. I can't over recommend the PAA Atomic Rocket. Both brushes are in the $14 range. My Semogue 1305 is a disappointment.

8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have had knots from 5 different Omegas. Full disclosure- I extract all my Omega knots from their handles, so I cannot comment on the different handle shapes. The 10049 (referenced above) and 10083 are my favourites. They are the same knot I believe, one is in a plastic handle and one is in a shiny metal over plastic handle. I also have a 10005 knot (24mm, smaller and less loft than the others listed), an Omega travel boar (50014) that was fine but ended up shedding quite a bit and another smaller Omega boar knot (21mm, no idea of model #) that was pif'ed to me.
    Basically, I love the big Omega Pro knots and am just ok with the smaller ones in comparison.

9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I would go with the Semogue 1305. A marvelous knot. Once it is well broken in it is good for both soaps and creams. Face lathering is nice. Dollar-for-dollar one of the best vales on the market. They can be found for around $20.00 shipped.

MaxG and Frijolero like this.
  10. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

You are correct sir..it is indeed stamped Omega, now I need to read more...my eyes are sore reading all the posts on here luvvin it tho.

Robert.

RyX likes this.
  11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I own one from each brand and I prefer the Semogue. It's a SOC Cherrywood handle.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

semogue 830, 1438. omega 10005, 10098 .these are the only ones i have, so i can't comment on others..love all of them...

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No need for me to retype this. I used my 1305 today. Great all around boar.

[​IMG]

Redrock, Hembree and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

nice set up..clubman soap is great..semogue boar awesome.. haven't tried the vanilla yet..

Hembree likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I like it. I think the soap has the classic vanilla scent. If you like to pair colognes you can use Canoe with it.

Hembree likes this.
  16. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

:happy088:

wchnu likes this.