Choosing A Straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Ryan Reilly, May 5, 2012.

1. Ryan Reilly

Ryan Reilly Active Member

Hey guys, so I've been doing my research on straight razors and while I understand most of it I'm a little confused on some things, like sizes and the full hollow vs half hollow blades. Im kinda set on buying a Dovo brand straight, as seeing it is the one brand that seems to be carried across all the websites. Of course I have to decide on which one, that's were the two areas of confusion come in. Anyways, so is there any resources out there you guys would suggest for making the right decision, or any suggestions for a beginners straight, do I want big blade or little blade, full hollow or half hollow???? Thanks guys.

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Here is my standard suggestions and the reasons for them

6/8 = Dead center size, you can go up or down on your next razor.., Slightly wider blade is sometimes easier to keep flat on the strop now and on the hone later, slightly thicker and heavier tang add just a bit more wieght to make those tentative beginner strokes have more authority..

Roundpoint = Gives the illusion of safety :) trust me the edge will cut ya just as fast, however there is no point to get ya a second time .

1/2 Hollow = Slighty stiffer grind is sometimes easier for newbs to handle, also see above about a little extra weight..

These are just my humble opinons (JMHO) and the reasons I give them

The absolute must have, without a doubt for first razor, is to have it "Shave Ready" from a very very reputable source so there is no doubt that any problems when starting are your doing and not the fault of a subpar edge....

Smooth Shaves

PLANofMAN and burnout961 like this.
  3. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I agree with gssixgun. If you are going to buy new, I would go for the Dovo Best Quality (they usually go for just under $100). Make sure you are buying one that has been professionally honed (the vendor should tell you that it has been professionally honed). The factory edge will be sharp, but shave sharp and honing is an art unto itself and not something I'd recommend for a new straight shaver. Feel free to PM me if you want a short list of vendors I would recommend.

4. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

I bought my first straight from whipped dog and Larry sent me a nice vintage razor that was honed up and shave ready. For me I think that was best way to start into straight shaving.

byrd likes this.
  5. byrd

byrd Well-Known Member

I would also recommend Whipped Dog. I like the sight unseen deal as it takes alot of the questions out of razor shopping. As a first time straight user you will have enough questions to boggle your mind. Also the cheap strop will be perfect as you will almost assuredly ruin your first one. If you really want to invest in something nice take a look at Glen's razors.

6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I did the exact same thing. Great way to start.

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I got back into straight razors with 2 Dovo 5/8" full hollow razors. 1 was honed professionally and 1 was "factory shave ready". They were both relatively affordable and I've enjoyed pairing them with a 3" wide paddle strop. I have been tempted to get a couple of 6/8" for my next purchase just to try out a new size and see how they go. For new razors I'd go with ClassicEdge.ca or Fendrihan.com since I've done quite a bit of business with them. Vintage razors would easily be something from Glen, Phil or Lynn.

8. Ryan Reilly

Thanks for all the comments guys, definitely have to check that Whipped Dog site.

9. Ryan Reilly

I was thinking about trying a Dovo Shavette before getting an actual straight. Anybody think that may be worth trying to get the hang of the straight razor idea.

10. Neolithium

I haven't tried a shavette myself - I've read of people definitely going that route though that you described before purchasing their own regular straight razors. For a more economical approach to straights I would lean towards suggesting the Whipped Dog deal though, a real straight for a very inexpensive initial cost.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. Ryan Reilly

Yea I checked out that site, pretty informative and a definite source for a straight razor purchase, still I was thinking just to get the hang of movement and feel in the straight razor area I might wanna try the shavette first, its allot cheaper and don't have to worry about blade maintenance just focus on technique and muscle memeory. The Shavette is only $35 and 20 blades, the longer ones, is only $12. One of those cheap enough to try situations.

12. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I've not used the Dovo but they (shavettes) can be very unforgiving. You'll need a extremely light touch and good technique.

13. Ryan Reilly

More unforgiving than a regular straight?

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I have also not used a shavette, but from what I understand they are not the same as shaving with a straight. I wish I knew in what way, sorry, but that's what I understand, so I don't think using a shavette is necessarily good practice for using a straight. Of course I have no experience using a shavette so I could be way off base here. I'm just saying......

15. Neolithium

From what I've read comparing the two (I only use a regular straight), there isn't even a consensus about it either - some say it works well to ease your way in, others say its completely different. I think this particular instance it will all just boil down to the user to see how it goes.

16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

tomnat and Neolithium like this.
  17. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have regular straights, shavettes, and Feather Artist club razors ....although I am by no means an expert. I only started straight shaving about 6 months ago. I will give a brief breakdown of each system as I see it.

Traditional straights are usually ground to give an extremely fine edge. The edge sharpness is dependant on the skills of the honer. Most beginners start with a rounded point which helps avoid accidents when shaving round the nose for example. In use you have good feedback and can actually hear the stubble being cut. The main issues are learning the skills to hone and maintain the edge. This is something I am slowly trying to do myself.

Shavettes which take half DE blades are probably more consistently sharper. You have a vast choice of DE blades to choose from so you can choose how sharp you want to be. However the two things they all have in common are the right angled ends of the blade. These ends will 'slice and dice' if you are not careful and because the blade is thicker and also less flexible due to the retention system.....there is less feedback. Blood letting can be a frequent occurrence. The retention system is also important. The Parker is pretty good....but with some...fitting the blade with a consistent exposure can be difficult, and if the blade isnt seated properly....more blood letting.

The Feather Artist Club shaving systems are high end replaceable blade straights. Perfect craftsmanship with the sharpest blades available. There is a good selection of blades.....all of which have rounded ends and are easily fitted. Once again...no feedback......so it is a case of ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE. The razor when used correctly just slides across you face, silently removing stubble. Once familiar with the System....DFS in 1 pass. The downside......(there is ALWAYS one).....the blades are so sharp you can cut yourself without even realising.

This has been rather longwinded, but to summarise.....The Traditional Straight is the most forgiving of the 3 types. I enjoy using the shavettes....but be warned. The first 2 weeks I had difficulties with grip,angle,and pressure. The name 'Freddie Krueger' was mentioned a lot, by my colleagues at work!

18. D3ADLY

D3ADLY New Member

I currently shave with a Shavette. I'm waiting on my Thiers Issard Spartacus to come in the mail right now. Can't wait to get it! :happy108:

I can say though coming from a Wilkinson Sword 3 blade system, a Mach 3, and several other multi blade models like the Quattro...etc. (I preferred at that time 3 blades as opposed to 4 or 5 cause I'd have less razor burn) Nothing so far has given me as close and comfortable a shave with no irritation, no razor bumps, no stubble left over as the Shavette. It was a very cheap way to go to get started just to see if I would enjoy straight shaving.

I was a bit nervous the first time I was shaving with it. Sliding a razor blade across my neck and face wasn't something I was used to doing. After the first shave though, I felt quite a bit more comfortable. I still took my time though, and to date, I've only lightly cut myself once. :) I had to just keep reminding myself to put nearly no pressure at all. Since I have the chin strap look with the attaching thinned out mustache and thinned sideburns the angles can be a little tricky for me at times in some places. I've gotten fairly used to maneuvering around it though.

I used to absolutely hate shaving. Now since switching to straight razor shaving the difference is absolutely astonishing. My face has never felt so awesome and smooth after a shave. I'm now addicted to it I think. I can't wait to grow hair just so I can get a fresh shave in again. My fiance tells me she's gonna do an intervention on me. :scared011:

If you've not SR shaved yet, I think with some proper shave creams...etc. you're in for a very nice surprise! I wished I had started back in my teens.

Hope something I said was useful or helpful in all my rambling. ><

IAmTheJody likes this.
  19. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I also would recommend the Feather Artist Club rather than a Shavette. The Feather is a wonderful system...system .. And you can 't go wrong with it as a starter or a continuing use razor system.

20. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

I purchased my first straight from whipped dog and he was great to work with. O do hate the sight unseen razor thing though. I like to see what I am getting.