Choosing A Straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Ryan Reilly, May 5, 2012.

1. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

but where is the excitement of the surprise. that could be half of the fun or depending upon how steady your hand is all of the surprise. :shocked002:

2. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

Sadly I do like to know how the razor looks. Maybe I need it to match my brush :p

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Most people do, however I believe his deal is outstanding so someone doesn't have to shell out $200+ to get a quality honed razor just to find out they hate using a straight razor. Believe me, once you get the hang of a straight....the RAD hits you hard.

4. newb

newb Resident Newb

Dovo shavette is too lite, has a horrible balance, and IMHO nothing like a str8. Because it's so lite it requires more pressure, and it leaves me with a blood bath. If you want to go the shavette route first. The Parker SR1, is the closest in feel to a str8. Good balance good weight. I use one in my rotation, with W&B's ( I love old wedges). There is a difference between str8's and shavettes but, the parker Sr1 closes the gap.

5. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

Oh he is great I have a razor from him. I really liked dealing with him as well just like the pics of razors. Rad is already set in a while ago I have like 20 some se & des then 2 straights.

6. LRD_III

LRD_III Member

All of the above folks mentioned are great dealers and honers. I have been off the forum for a year almost due to doing an internship. One person you don't see mentioned a lot is John Crowley who runs/owns shavingshop.com. He sells awesome razors of the absolute highest quality and is a great honer. You can get a unique razors (ie. Wacker) at a reasonable price and save money on other items. You will find that there are many great honers out there and you can pay them whatever you desire from $10-$20 per trip so buy a shave ready razor. Honing is not rocket science and you should learn to do it for yourself as you will over time develop a preference for stones and honers make a lot of profit form repeat business. It is also much cheaper to hone your own.
    I say size doesn't matter so long as you are not in the extremes. An 8/8 wedge is not for beginners, nor is a 5/8 or 6/9 $500 Puma or DD super extra hollow ground because they will break if you drop it. I had a DD satinwedge that was only 4/8, and I sent it tot the UK to a guy who was a beginner about to give of straight razor shaving. He loved it and it saved him from quitting. I only regret getting rid of it because it was a great shaver. The smaller blades are easier to control, will last a long time, and get you started. You can move up with experience. I personally just bought a 5/8 Spanish Point Raulf Aust(? spelling) razor and love it. I would rather have had the 13/16 which is my favorite size, but I can use whatever I want now that I have been doing this going on about 5 years.
    Just get something cheap that is well honed. Also find a good soap for YOUR face. Develop a preparation that suits your skin as well as appropriate stropping technique. All of these things help make a consistent good shave and if anyone is lacking, you can improve the results regardless of the blade you have.