Christmas Beginner Setup for My Boy

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by timabababaluka, Dec 25, 2019.

1. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

Today my second oldest son (15 1/2) logged in his historic first shave--to be sure, there was much fanfare and 'today-you-are-a-man'-ing going on (mainly because we all love to embarrass him).

The occasion did, however, get me wondering what others would suggest/gift to a first time wet shaver. For me, I wanted to make sure the set up was (a) successful, (b) versatile, and (c) fairly inexpensive in case there were some unforeseen incompatibilities. Here is what he ended up with:

Razor: Q-Shave adjustable (Merkur Future knock-off). When the boy eventually decides to pull the trigger on a razor of his own, I didn't want him guessing as to how aggressive he likes his razors. An adjustable seemed to be the best solution, and this came in at under $15 and included a leather holder and 5-pack of Dorco blades.

Brush: Stirling synthetic 2 band brush. It looks swanky and performs wonderfully. My experience with synthetics, thus far, have also shown them to be pretty durable--my house is a rough and tumble place.

Soap: Stirling Tea Tree. Stirling's price point hits the sweet spot for me, and I've found it to be an incredibly forgiving soap that is easy to lather, slick, and protective.

Bowl: Stirling Collapsible Silicon Bowl. Admittedly, a bowl is is not necessary, but the nubs on this bad boy make it super easy to generate lather.

Blades: his razor came with Dorco, but I also gave him some of my leftover Personna Blue Labs. If I had any on hand, I probably would have gone with Derby.

Balm: Nivea Sensitive. Easy to find, fairly inexpensive, and effective.

Recommendations?
    So that is what I went with, but what about you? What do you recommend to those who are first getting ready to make the plunge into the wet-shaving world?

2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Awesome looks like you have it Handled.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Hembree and timabababaluka like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I'd say ya did good!
    The rest is up to him, but he has a great start.
    Good man!
    tp

Hembree and timabababaluka like this.
  4. timabababaluka

Thanks gentlemen! The setup (minus the bowl) worked well for son #1, and hopefully will perform as well for son #2. But (as per usual) I like to know what's worked for others--'cause knowing is half the battle ;)

Hembree and Terry like this.
  5. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Sounds like a solid starter set up to me. Better than what I first started with and I was able to attain good shaves, after I got my technique down.

Starting out DE shaving was really my favorite period. My first DE shave was the best shave I'd ever had up to that point. The learning of new techniques and what does and dosent work was an enjoyable experience.

My only added recommendations would be to also add a styptic pencil. It came in handy for me when I first started.

Maybe an aftershave or witch hazel. Witch hazel helped a lot when my technique wasn't quite so good.

Always look forward to a nice splash of aftershave when I'm done shaving.

Hembree likes this.
  6. timabababaluka

Well, crud. That completely flew by me. I've got one in my medicine cabinet, but haven't used it in years. I should break the thing into thirds and let my sons have the two unused parts. Good call!

Also, good call on the witch hazel. My wife's got some Thayer's medicated that hasn't been getting any love for a couple of months. Think I'll move it to a different bathroom ;)

Ksblazer and Hembree like this.