Christmas gifts you've ordered for yourself

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MrEE, Nov 3, 2019.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Beginning in mid October, my wife starts intercepting orders, insisting that I wait for Christmas to use whatever I buy. I've even had packages of socks and underwear show up under the tree. It was frustrating until I learned I could order a few bigger items and get away with it.

Well, this week I ordered a Rex Ambassador and thinking I may be able to get a new brush and assorted soaps and aftershaves as long as I don't complain when they disappear for a few weeks. She finds the process mildly entertaining.

In that spirit, please share how you are treating yourself this holiday season.

Hembree, AGHisBBS, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

Hembree and kjbarth like this.
  3. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

My birthday is in December so here’s some things I have put away for myself for birthday/holiday.
    Gillette Diplomat
    Leresche no 34
    Avon Island Lime aftershave
    Simpsons synthetic shave brush

Hembree, AGHisBBS and MrEE like this.
  4. Angelo85

I’ve also got an order from Italian Barber that I’ll put away for holiday; at least some items. Such as the Razorock Blue Barbershop aftershave and Santa Maria soap and aftershave.

5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Help me understand why some men feel they must obtain their wives permission to make a purchase? The only way this make sense is if they have no means of support, cannot manage debt, or are failing to pay the necessary bills.

Hembree likes this.
  6. MrEE

Can anyone else smell a troll? I discuss finances with my wife because she is my partner. We've built a life together and we share everything. Our only debt is our mortgage. We have sufficient assets to pay it off but would prefer to keep those assets liquid, just in case. My wife and I discuss large discretionary purchases because that's how we stay cash flow positive. We dont have seperate hobby budgets like some couples. Its never been a problem and we feel discussing our finances regularly brings us closer together. We aren't perfect but our stable and rewarding marriage and our finances is not where we struggle.

And we discussed what we are getting her for Christmas as well. Putting in those orders today.

Linuxguile, Hembree, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

Buying something and being told when you can use and it saying you “learned what you could get by” with doesn’t sound respectable or collaborative.

Hembree likes this.
  8. Angelo85

I tend to buy myself gifts months ahead of holiday/birthday time. I’ll buy several items for myself and save them until December, holiday/birthday month for me. This way I have something to look forward to come December.

9. Angelo85

BTW I almost forgot I have an Apollo safety razor with a white handle with a ball end put away for December time.

10. MrEE

Well Chuck, my wife grew up in a poor family. Each Christmas each child got one toy and a full outfit and that was it. Yet, she remembers every Christmas with excitement and joy. She loves anticipating getting something exciting on Christmas Day. She does the same thing for herself, buying stuff and waiting for Christmas to open it. For her this quirk brings back childhood memories. I love my wife and there's nothing I would buy for myself that I enjoy more than seeing her play this game. She giggles and laughs as she does it. Honestly if she stopped, I'd miss it. I shared this because I think it's cute. I specifically buy stuff for her to hide from me. In my 19 years of marriage I've done a lot of things just because they are important to my wife. She does the same thing for me. We're best friends who love seeing the other person happy.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Linuxguile, Hembree, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nice story, Evan. Don't worry about what others think. In the age of the internet, it's simply too easy to impose one's viewpoint...oftentimes, without considering the recipient's feelings or personal situation. BTW, I don't purchase any more shave gear without telling my wife and I still own my "man card".

12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I’ll chime in as well! I was married for 38 yrs before losing my first wife to cancer. We always discussed individual purchases with each other. My second wife and I don’t share purchase information, but we certainly don’t keep it to ourselves. Frankly, she could give a hoot about the particulars of my shaving hobby, just like I have no interest in the specifics of her quilting hobby. What I’ve learned in my 7 decades is that how people conduct their household business is none of my business! Judge not lest ye be judged, as my pastor would say!

And in keeping with the theme of this thread, I just ordered an R41 for myself that I found for a bit more than 30 dollars on another board.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Linuxguile, Hembree, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  13. MrEE

Thanks Joseph! I know better than to engage with a troll, but I did it anyway. Somehow I think your marriage advice is a little more sound. It's always best to be on the same page with your wife. I usually say it about my kids, but it applies to my wife as well. Make sure they know you love them more than you love your stuff. The man card requires it.
    Yep, It's okay to treat yourself. I've also purchased and starting using gifts before the day and somehow it seems less special.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Never...BUT NEVER feed a Troll. That's what the "ignore" button is for!

Linuxguile, Hembree, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Not ordered yet, but will do so after Christmas. Besides some shaving stuff, a 1/350 scale model of Star Trek's USS Enterprise. It's about three feet long, if it's still around at a reasonable price. And possibly it's LED lighting kit. Oh yeah, a bunch of cigars as my main humidor has been feeling lonely lately.

Hembree, AGHisBBS, Angelo85 and 3 others like this.
  16. Chuck Naill

Brotherman, I have been inappropriate and am sorry for giving my opinion in the way that I did. I retain my opinion, but what you chose to do is your business. Please forgive.

Linuxguile, Hembree and Primotenore like this.
  17. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

A nice lump of Anthracite :)
    The older I become the more I realize what I want is not sold at amazon or in the bay.

Linuxguile, Hembree, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  18. MrEE

A USS Enterprise model, that's pure geek right there. I love it. Wouldn't buy it for myself, but I would come over to your house and admire it.

19. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

is it NCC-1701, or NCC-1701-A or .... NCC-1701-E

20. Angelo85

I’ve learned from my mother that every holiday I should buy myself something nice for the occasion; this way I have something to look forward to in the near future.

Hembree and MrEE like this.