Chrome Adjustor Knob for Merkur Progress 500

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stroker, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where/who makes one of those Chrome Knobs for the Merkur Progress 500?
    I think Cooncat did but not sure who else makes them since his passing. I don't care about the numbers painting, just want to get the knob to replace the plastic one on there now. Thanks.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Stroker likes this.
  3. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

They do still do it. I just contacted them last week. They don't paint the numbers but they paint the dots in your choice of color.

Stroker likes this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

If I can find it, I have one you can have. Cooncat made it and I bought it from xzemer. It is not chrome though, I think it is SS or nickle. It has a magnet in it, and is quite hefty for it's size. I will look for it tonight.

PLANofMAN, Stroker, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Eric 'Mer' makes them and his contact information is floating around one of the forums. Also, I know Greg from ikon made at least a couple of them as well.

Stroker likes this.
  6. Stroker

Thanks for the help Guy's, I really appreciate it! I'll check these leads. :)

7. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Yeah I believe he is working with Lee's safety razors linked above

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yes, but you can also contact him directly and avoid and re-seller up charges...

9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Oh did not know this. Lol

10. stingraysrock

Ok here is the Cooncat/BRW knob. It weighs 70 grams and adds 1.5" to the length of the handle. IIRC, you slam the Progress wide open then push the blade cap down to expose the compression ring. Pinch the ring with your thumb and forefinger then screw the knob all the way out. Installation is the reverse of disassembly.

I sold my Progress or traded it to aquire the Futur. Personally, I think the Progress is better than the Futur, mostly because the bulk of the Futur is just too much for me. Much like the Cobra Classic. They are both great shavers, just to bulky for me.

PM me your addy and I will drop it in the mail tomorrow.

image.jpg

jkarp_53, alpla444, youngunn and 3 others like this.
  11. Stroker

Wow! That is a beauty Sting! I really miss Cooncat; he was a truely great artisan.
    I think I'll like the extra length on the Progress 500.
    Thanks again Sting, you are a true Gentleman. :smiley respect:

Raven312, alpla444 and PanChango like this.
  12. stingraysrock

Indeed, Bob was in fact One Cool Cat! I am happy to own one of his Bulldog handles for my 2011 Muhle R41 and am more than happy to keep his work alive by passing this knob on to you.

Perhaps one day I will stumble across another Progress and wish I had held on to this knob!

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That's a heavyweight....

It will weigh near 159 grams or just over 5.5 oz...

Stroker and stingraysrock like this.
  14. stingraysrock

Yalp! Beasty it will be too!

Stroker likes this.
  15. Stroker

I am very happy to have one of Bob's works. Ironically, I had an order in with him for a Bull-Mastiff handle when he passed. At least now, I will have something from him. Yeah! This baby is going to be a big stick! I like the heavy handles though; this should be interesting. :signs021:

alpla444 likes this.
  16. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Member

Between Eric (Mer) and Lee's razors, the Mergress upgrade to the standard adjustable Progress is a worthy upgrade. While I love my G1 FatBoy, my LH Mergress equals if not beats it in the quality of the shave I receive every time. Recommended!

Stroker, Raven312 and alpla444 like this.