chrome and nickel plating

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by redorchestra, Oct 3, 2008.

1. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

Is there a difference between chrome and nickel plating, or are these just different terms for the same process?

2. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

So I did some researech and found that yes they are different

Chrome is chromium plating and nickel plating is plated in nickel.

My next question is : Is there a way to tell the difference?

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

colour ;) Chrome looks like chrome and nickel looks licke nickel ;)

Okay, okay: Chrome looks like silver while nickel is a tad more brownish.

4. tom myers

tom myers Member

Yes, they don't really look the same, but the difference is rather hard to describe. You really need to look at a sample of each to see the difference I will attempt to describe:

The chrome plating is a harder finish and tends to have a very shiny "colder" look to it, tending toward "bluish".

Nickel plating, though still shiny, has a bit of a "warmer" appearance, tending toward "yellowish".

If you have an older Gillette such as a Tech or a Superspeed, assuming it isn't gold, it is probably nickel plated. If you compare this to a newer Merkur, for example, you would be able to see the differance I'm making a bad attempt to describe.

Well, I tried . . . Anyone else want to attempt to describe the visual differance? :confused:
    Regards,
    Tom

5. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

This sounds right to me. This is also something I noticed. Very subtle like the difference between colour temps of flourescent bulbs.

Now, does anyone have a preference one way or the other for chrome or nickel plated razors?

And why?

I was just thinking about this because I saw a seller on Ebay who replates old razors.
    I can't remember if he said he nickel plates them or not.

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

How about Rhodium? :D

[​IMG]

7. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

do you like the rhodium plating? Does it feel different to you during the shave?

I have only shaved 3-4 times with a merkur and didn't like the chromium. it seemed to jump across my face.
    I think I prefer the nickel plating.

What reasons would a company choose one plating over the other?

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Cost. Chrome plating is a more involved process and is a bit temperamental as evidenced by Merkur quality control problems. I think chrome needs to be plated over the top of nickel anyway? Nickel is an easier process and can be plated directly on top of copper and brass which are the most used base metals in safety razors.

Merkurs come coated in Chrome while most Gillette's will be Nickel or Gold over Nickel. There were some NEW's that had a Chrome covering and as Mastermute posted above some high end British and American made Gillette's have the Rhodium plate.

I have a few Rhodium handled razors and they feel the same as a Nickel version to me. They do look whiter in certain lighting and are supposed to be nontarnishable.

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

When it comes to Rhodium, I'd guess the reason would be to create an exclusive product. Rhodium is more precious than Platinum! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodium

I'm not sure I could tell the difference on my skin only. I just tried touching a SS Red Tip, FatBoy and Executive, and the Executive was definitely smoothest to the touch, but if that can be attributed to the Rhodium or if it's because the underlying Brass has been finished better, I don't know. The Rhodium has a shine a deapth to it that makes it stand out though.

10. tom myers

tom myers Member

Although I, personaly haven't noticed a difference on my face, what with the lather and all providing lubrication, there are differences in the coefficient of friction of various platings. You may be noticing something related to this.

If you would like to see a graphic demonstration of this, just pick up a Cross pen with chrome plating. Even though they put annular knurling on the chrome ones which they don't put on the others, these chrome pens tend to slip through your fingers in use, unlike an otherwise identical pen, such as a gold plated one.

Regards,
    Tom

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I have also understood that Gillttes Gold plated DE's may have a protective laquer layer too;

I don't know if the other platings also were treated this way, or if it's only Gold due to it being a very soft metal?

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

How does this member plan on replating old razors? They would have to be completely dissasembled so that pretty much leaves out TTOs and than the stud on the 3pc would have to be sanded back down to fit, if the internals didnt freeze up from the plating.

13. tom myers

tom myers Member

The gold plating is, as you indicated, very soft and consequently wears off very easily. Also, due to the value of gold, they tended to use a very thin plating of gold. The lacquer was needed to keep this thin layer of gold from being worn off almost immediately. They did not need to use a lacquer coating on the nickel plated razors since it is quite a durable finish itself. Before chrome plating became popular in the late '30's, most car bumpers and trim were nickel plated.

Frankly, I still don't care much for gold razors. They are nice to look at when they are new but, if you use them every day, they won't look good for very long. As far as looks, in my opinion, there isn't any razor prettier than a silver plated one when it is freshly polished. Unfortunately, silver tarnishes very quickly, so it needs frequent polishing to stay nice looking.

Regards,
    Tom

14. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Do anyone know if there are any more models than the Executive and President that was Rhodium plated?

15. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I don't know of any. Rhodium is rather expensive so probably not.

16. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

:sad024

I sure do miss him ...

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Most of the numbered British Aristocrat series has handles that have Rhodium plating. I've heard rumors of the President's being Rhodium coated, but have never seen actual evidence stating that they were. There's no doubt in my mind that the handles of the Executives were though.

In what I see as a strange use of the precious metal the British TV Rocket was plated with Rhodium.

[​IMG]

18. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Thanks!

I love my Executive (thanks AG!) but have been oogling the President too (eww that didn't sound good, did it? :p).

19. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

You know the President was my first high end DE and is still my overall favorite. It's a classy razor all the way around and the handle, knurling/diameter, is just perfect IMO. I doubt you'd regret getting one and this razor seems to hold it's value very well.

I had three at one time, but now am down to just two. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

According to an estate jeweler here. You can reapply the lacquer yourself. All you need is nail polish, clear that is. Truthfully I would use an automotive clear coat.

They recommend nail polish if it is just a looker.

Nickle fades and chrome will chip and flake. Neither have a clear coat.

BTW, MAAS and Neverdull recommend not using these products on Lacquered surfaces. Does Rhodium count?