Classic Ice Blue Aqua Velva Aftershave Fans

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jgreenepa, Aug 22, 2019.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

For those of you who are aware of this please bear with me. I've been shaving with the stuff forever, and have noticed over the years that the newer stuff just doesn't smell like it used to. Has that been your experience as well? One of the guys I eat breakfast with was interested in my recent entry into internet shave circles, and we were talking about classic aftershaves. We all agreed that the old Shulton version of Old Spice smelled differently, and I shared how I had learned about the Indian version of the Classic Old Spice Aftershave and how it smelled like the Shulton version. Well that led me to doing a bit of research on Aqua Velva. As it turns out, Williams uses the original formula for the version they sell in Spain. I had heard that PAA carried the Spanish version, but when I checked they were sold out. Amazon UK sells the Spanish version, but for some reason do not ship to the US. After some further research I discovered a source in Chicago, Smallflower Apothecary that carries it. I was able to order a bottle. That's that!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I think the different Ice Blue scent is due to it being put in plastic bottles. I don't think Combe's changed the recipe.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Paul Turner, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I have the version from Spain, it has no menthol which I believe the classic version did and to me it smells the same as the current version just watered down. I don't smell much of a difference between vintage and current but it is slight, I honestly think both old spice and AV could be the same formula as before but I think putting it in a plastic bottle instead of glass changes it, maybe something is leaching into it after it's bottled into plastic bottles. Then who knows how long it sits in a hot warehouse before getting shipped for selling. That's just my thoughts. Per P&G India uses the same formula but I'm assuming they get their ingredients from some were else and that can also change the scent, but India old spice is way different from US old spice, and India still uses the glass bottles, so my best guess is the chemicals in the plastic, or the plastic is absorbing something from current old spice.

brit likes this.
  4. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Also you can order Spanish AV from smallflower in Chicago, but it's expensive.

jgreenepa and brit like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd like to see the new version produce newer bottles with smaller "peepholes" so we don't get Niagra Falls as we get set to administer the aftershave.

ghostlife, brit and jgreenepa like this.
  6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I was in Doha, Qatar and they had Old Spice made in Germany...I don't know the difference, but it definitely smelled ALOT better that the US version. Sweeter, more powdery. more vanilla maybe and NO bug sprey vibe

I ended up buying 8 bottles
    Now they are used up

Now the EU charges. like 75Euro to ship anything to the US...

Thats a drag...now I wish I didnt know about the German Old Spice...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  7. Paul Turner

You say you were in Qatar.....I don't care for the way we pronounce that country's name as "Cutter" or even worse, "Gutter". To me, it always is "Ka-TAR". I hope they pronounce it that way too.

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

They Do...You are Spot On....although, I can"t say I enjoyed my stay....I enjoyed the Old Spice ...No desire to go back!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jgreenepa, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Your Old Spice kept you going, eh? :)

brit and jgreenepa like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You know, I don't smell as good as I used to either.

11. jgreenepa

I also don't see as good as I used to! :cool:

brit likes this.
  12. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

AV smells just like I remember from the 1960's. My adult children like it and it reminds them of their great grandfather.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  13. jgreenepa

For whatever reason, I have noticed that AV didn't smell like I remembered! Maybe it's because of the plastic bottles, but for whatever reason, I do like the smell of the Spanish AV. It smells like what I remember. I'm looking forward to its arrival.

brit likes this.
  14. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

It's funny how different people perceive smells, I literally can't tell the difference with the Spanish version, I mean there is no menthol, but it just smells like a weaker version of the US stuff., my plan is to use it up and then decant regular AV into it.

15. jgreenepa

I agree! I do smell a difference, and it may be the menthol issue.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

brit likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

I think that's what makes AV the classic aftershave it is.......the reaction from your adult children. The period of time their great-grandfather lived was "when men were men and ladies loved them for it".

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :p

brit likes this.
  18. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I only have the current configuration and I like it and use it. That's all that matters to me. I'm not going to go in search of hard to find versions of the scent.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  19. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Agree, though I did source some ‘80s vintage once.

brit, MntnMan62 and Paul Turner like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i only have the new aqua velva version..partly because i used up the vintage stuff i had when it was new..i love it and the original sport as well.would't object to finding a glass bottled on though..;):)

Paul Turner likes this.