Cleaning a Used Vintage Brush Before Using

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by lindyhopper66, Feb 5, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Can I just clean a vintage used brush with shampoo and use it safely? Are is there more to be done that won't mess up the bristles? Are should it just be part of a "look at" collection?

Enrico likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have and use several vintage brushes with their original knot. I just use an anti-bacterial hand soap for its first cleaning. No issues so far.
    Or you can follow Em's advice on brush cleaning.

Enrico and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, I have used many a vintage brush and all I did was use the regular ol' antibacterial handsoap at the sink.

If you notice any weird biological gloop while washing it and it's still there after you wash it, I'd think twice but I haven't encountered that.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: Saved me a mess o typing!

5. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I use a water and Borax soak. Then hair shampoo.
    When I've contacted new brush makers they've only recommended hair shampoo.
    Vintage. Borax. Watch out for overly hot water. It may ruin the brush.

6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I couldn't get Em's videos to work, even though I had the latest Flash Player, so I went to YouTube and found a Mantic video that described in a few seconds what to do.

Thanks.

7. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Just received these two brushes in the mail I purchased from an estate sale auction and I was hoping to find some info on how to clean and disinfect properly and if I could even use them. So happy to know that I can! Could anyone give me a little information on the brushes themselves if they recognize them? The only markings are "Simms" in tiny cursive on the bigger one and "SIMMS" with "set in rubber" in a banner like rectangle going through the "SIMMS" and "Trade Mark" above and below "SIMMS" Thanks everyone and happy shaving! Apparently the picture is too large to upload....bummer

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Hi there, I made this thread about Simms brushes and have a small collection of them that I have reknotted for my use
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/simms-lather-brushes-some-history.61278/#post-1610069

Jake Gibson likes this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I definitely recommend a Borax soak. It should be sanitized, not just cleaned.