Cleaning safety razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by coche1, Mar 9, 2012.

1. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I have an EJ DE89L razor that I've been using for a couple of months now, but this is really meant to get a couple of quick answers to apply generically to cleaning razors. It is starting to get a little caked up with residue and gunk. I've seen the suggestions to soak it in scrubbing bubbles numerous times, but there are at least a dozen different variety of 'scrubbing bubbles' available. Do any of these products contain things that could be harmful to the razor? I know some have bleach, which I would think should be avoided, right? Are there any other specific cleaning agents that should be avoided for use on razors?

Thanks.

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Bleach can be corrosive. I think stuff like scrubbing bubbles makes sense- it is designed to break down soap residue.

coche1 likes this.
  3. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Use a tootbrush, hot water and Dawn detergent.

coche1 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cover with Scrubbing Bubbles and let it soak until the bubbles are gone. Take a soft toothbrush to it, if need be. Rinse under warm water and dry.
    It's the only thing I've ever used on my 30-some odd razors and never had a problem. They've all shined up nicely, and were disinfected in the process.

coche1 likes this.
  5. coche1

I don't mean to come off as abrubt or rude here (and I've been told I'm coming off that way more and more as of late- I'll blame lack of sleep!) but what kind of "scrubbing bubbles" are you using?
    All Purpose Cleaner - Heavy duty
    All Purpose Cleaner - Lemon Power
    Bathroom Cleaner with Color Power Technology
    Daily Shower Cleaner
    Extend-A-Clean Active Scrub Cream Cleanser
    Bathroom Cleaner
    Mega Shower Foamer
    Fantastik All-Purpose Cleaner with Bleach
    Fantastik Oxypower Multi-Purpose Cleaner
    Foaming Bathroom Cleaners
    Soap Scum Remover

I don't know what the differences in most of these products are, and I'm just terrified to use something that might be corrosive or damaging to my razor. I know that at least some of them (1 for sure) contain bleach which I wouldn't not want to use I assume (and Sara-s confirmed). It seems to me that the last one on the list in this post would be the most appropriate- Soap Scum Remover - but I don't know what all it contains off hand. and even if I did I'm not sure which chemicals are likely to be problematic for use on my razor?

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I just use the Walmart brand bathroom cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Worked just as well as scrubbing bubbles and it has a non-corrosive formula as well that won't bugger up finishes for my particular razors. Usually anything that isn't "heavy duty" and is targeted at soap scum is what I would trust with razors.

coche1 likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't take it as rude at all. I didn't realize there were so many types out there, and if you have a concern about one of them, then you're in the right to ask.

I use the Bathroom Cleaner.

coche1 likes this.
  8. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I use a small ultrasonic bath with ordinary washing up liquid . Works a treat!

coche1 likes this.
  9. coche1

Ok, glad you didn't take it as rude... I've been told that my written word has come across somewhat harshly lately... Like I said, I'm blaming being up half the night with our 8-month old more often than not lately... I know that you and others have been trying to help and did not intend to seem unappreciative in any way! Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize there were so many varieties either, until I asked my wife to pick some up for me and she asked "Which one?" :signs002:

10. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I like to soak in Barbacide for a few mins and then clean with an old toothbrush.
    If you give it a quick brush after each use the usually stay spotless. :)-)

CyanideMetal likes this.
  11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

:signs011: