Cleaning the Slim Adjustable...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by T_I, May 25, 2018.

1. T_I

T_I Active Member

As requested, I made some pics of the Slim Adjustable when it arrived today. Some before cleaning, some during (in the tub, not that sharp) and some after.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top is before. The razor is used (as advertised) and it's more wear then dirt that was visible on the seller pictures, but I managed to clean it up a bit anyway. (it's a bit shinier) How do I maintain an adjustable/butterfly razor? Just keep it clean or are extra actions needed. (oiling?)

Some Slim twin pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frijolero, gorgo2, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Looks great! The blue one looks like a Knack or SlimTwist--a very underrated razor in my opinion. Once you have cleaned them you can use a mild polish, if you want, to really make them shine. I use Flitz or Maas brand polish. Whether to oil a razor is a debatable topic. If the TTO open and close mechanism works great, then my advice would be to leave it alone and just give the razor a quick rinse n dry after shaving. I have been told by razor replaters and repair experts that it is the dried-on soap scup and minerals in water that cause the razor issues and the post-shave rinse-n-dry goes a long way for razor maintenance.

Happy shaves!

sm1h, kfbrady, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  3. T_I

T_I Active Member

Indeed, the blue one is a Twist, the reason I'm on this forum. I wanted to know what it was and what would be a good replacement, as the center bar that aligns the blade before closing has a lot of play. The Adjust has no play at all.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If you do have to oil the TTO mechanism, you can use mineral oil or baby oil. Just a few drops should smooth a sticky TTO.

kfbrady and RyX like this.
  5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

An old toothbrush and some mild metal polish will shine up the handle.

If you are going to oil it then do it very sparingly. Oil can attract dirt.

6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Make sure the mechanism is actually working, they can get gunked up.

[​IMG]

T_I, Jim99 and RyX like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    One drop should do. Sewing machine oil or 3 in 1 oil will work well too. As tempting as it is to just give it a good squirt of WD40, it's not recommended.

...unless you really like the smell of WD40. It takes days to get the smell out.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Or you have a razor that is really messed up, particularly on the final quarter turn.

Jim99 likes this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s hallucinating!
    :signs021:

TobyC likes this.
  10. T_I

T_I Active Member

That was already tested by the seller. (and yep, works perfectly when not in the last lock-down, the 1/4 turn to lock the blade)