Cleaning Vintage/Used Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wmbjr, Jun 12, 2015.

1. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I have no problem with the idea of a used vintage razor, but I am curious what would be considered the proper and necessary cleaning for one? I am going to look for a birth year razor (1974, would love a U3 for proper quarter but those seem to be impossible to find) but am sure it will need cleaning unless I can find a NOS (and I am not sure I really want to pay for one of those). What is the recommended process for cleaning a used razor that will actually be used and not just set aside and kept.

Also, is there anywhere to look to get an idea of the proper price to pay for various vintage razors? The prices on Ebay seem to be all over the place!

Thanks!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Many of us here use Scrubbing Bubbles.

Open/take apart razor and place in small container
    Spray and cover with Scrubbing Bubbles
    Allow bubbles to disappear
    Spray and cover again
    Allow bubbles to disappear
    (do not allow to soak any longer than it takes for the bubbles to disappear, it has been known to take the paint off the numbers of Slims and Fatboys and the color off the Lady Gillettes. I've had no issue as long as I followed that rule)
    Scrub with soft toothbrush
    Rinse in hot water
    Light coat of light weight oil
    Done

Boiling gold plated razors has been known to take the plating off.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    They are out there. The Super Speed and the Super Adjustable give you two nice choices. I found a 76 for my son. They clean up well. You just have to be careful about the black handles.

I would soak it in a Dawn soap solution and then clean it with a toothbrush. I have a dedicated electric Spinbrush that I use for cleaning my razors. I would keep Scrubbing Bubbles off the handle. That is just me. It will do well on the head, but it may discolor the black handle. Better safe than sorry. I would rinse it well with hot water, dry it, and then give the head a nice polish with Maas Polish.

Douglas Carey, Rufus T. and wmbjr like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If I have an nickel plated razor, I now simply open it up and run it through the dishwasher with everything else. Works great, no damage whatsoever.

Rufus T. and wmbjr like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

As far as price, it's what you're willing to pay. How bad do you want it? You can only answer that.

Douglas Carey, wmbjr and trey06dmd like this.
  6. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I hit my local antique shops. If it's $5 or less, I generally buy unless it's completely unusable. If it's more, I see what the same thing is going for on eBay, etc. Or just buy if the condition is right. So yeah, it's a matter of how much you want the particular razor. I find that my local antique shops have been carrying more razors since I've purchased a few and spoke with the owners.

7. wmbjr

Thanks y'all for all the information and suggestions. I will take care if I end up with the SS or other from 74 with the black handle. I just want to make sure I am not mistreating the razor while still getting it clean enough that I will have no problem using it. As for purchasing, I think I will be scouring the antique shops and other shops around here to see what they might have. Hopefully can find one for less than some of the prices I have seen online.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am so old that my birth razor didn't have a date code. I decided I would set the limit to my age: one dollar for each year. Fortunately, I did not have to pay that.

ObiDon, wristwatchb, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  9. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

This is funny:eatdrink047:

10. TheDude82

TheDude82 Well-Known Member

I like blue dawn and scrubbing bubbles as well as a nice soft toothbrush. When all is said and done I give em a soak in barbacide for good measure.

wmbjr likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Barbacide will destroy Zamak (zinc) razors if there is the slightest imperfection in the plating, so if you have a modern razor, keep it out of the blue liquid.

Bama Samurai, wmbjr and TheDude82 like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have used my method with Scubbing Bubbles on 9 black handle razors, 2 Red Tips, a Blue Tip, 3 Lady Gillette's, 3 Fatboys, 2 Slims, and numerous gold plated razors. All of these razors made it through with zero color or platting loss.

wmbjr and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011: :sad024:

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good to know. Thanks...

15. wmbjr

Definitely good to know! Looks like scrubbing bubbles is the popular choice. Now, just need to find the razor(s) at a decent price. HAHA

Douglas Carey and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Blue Yuma anyone?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Another vote for scrubbing bubbles...it works, no issues.

18. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

I personally keep it simple, warm water, a little soap ( I use mild hand soap), and a good ol' Army M16 plastic cleaning brush. Those bristles will remove anything!

19. If you have (or rather wife has) an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, warm water and mild dishsoap. Let it run in there even over night. Amazing the gunk that shows up.

Douglas Carey and wmbjr like this.
  20. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Just saw a U3 Gillette Knack on ebay today. They are asking $18 plus $9 shipping. Don't know if you want to spend that much but thought you might like to know. If it was me though I would hold out for a Super Adjustable. A lot of times if they don't list the date code I ask them if they can find it for me. Most of the sellers oblige. Happy hunting.