Cleaning...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by badabing10, Nov 29, 2014.

1. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

now that I've been on the forum for a while, I have a cleaning question....

1. How often do you clean your DE safety razor?
    2. Steps you take to clean / disinfect your razor?

* I currently boil water, splash of bleach and let in sink/set for 5-10 minutes. Next I leave in hot soapy water and then finish by rinsing it very well and drying.

* Do this process - x1 a month.

*I currently shave with a 34c, I assume this will not damage the razor in any way?

SB

2. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I take my razors apart rinse with hot water and wipe down dry and comepletly clean with a soft face cloth after every shave, blade too (blot dry blade) then store correctly ( only takes a few minutes after each shave). All my razors stay new looking and clean all the time, no need for any more indepth cleaning as they stay clean from day one of use through there lifetime useing this method.

Happy Shave On To All,
    Bill G

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    Bristle Me likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

+1 - I follow the same method as Bill G. I clean them as part of my routine, and I never leave a blade in any of my razors.

Bill G likes this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1. I follow the same routine as JR, who follows the same routine as Bill.

icemanwbs likes this.
  5. fodder

fodder Member

What does "store correctly" mean. Kind of new to this and interested since I don't do any of this after my shave.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never. Rinse and let air dry, usually. Maybe an occasional wipe-down or polishing if I see the start of water spots.

None, unless I know it's been somehow contaminated (dropped in the toilet, etc).

I do clean and disinfect all my finds, as we all do (dishwasher has been proven to be great for my all-metal razors), but once that's done and the razor is fully "mine," I don't bother. Especially with the raw brass ones, which I've read has its own antibac properties.

Bristle Me likes this.
  7. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

:signs011:

CyanideMetal and Bill G like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I remove the blade and clean my razor after every other shave. Most cleanings involve a quick rinse under the tap, sometimes using handsoap, followed by a quick wipe with a soft cloth. Every now and then, I will go over the razor with an old toothbrush and toothpaste or with Scrubbing Bubbles to clean the nooks and crannies. I leave the razor on the countertop to dry for the next morning's shave.

Bristle Me likes this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I wash it and scrub with a toothbrush when I change blades. After every shave I rinse then dunk in alcohol I keep in a barbicide jar just for that purpose. Not necessarily for the disinfecting properties but because the alcohol displaces the water and allows the razor to dry quickly without leaving water spots on the blade.

Bristle Me likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I rinse and wipe down my razor after each shave, then hang it up to dry. At each blade change I spray the razor with Scrubbing Bubbles and clean off all the soap residue.

wristwatchb, Bristle Me and Bobcat like this.
  11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

:signs011:

To each his own, but dis-infecting most any shaving item can be done with a good scrub
    using soap, hot water, and your shaving brush. If you are so inclined, a dip in isopropyl
    alcohol doesn't really hurt anything, but it isn't really necessary either. Especially if you
    are the only person using the razor.

Chlorine bleach is bad stuff folks. Educate yourself before you use it, follow all guidelines, and know what you are doing. The only time I would go so far as to use a dilute bleach solution to disinfect shaving tools would be when I was certain that someone with HIV/Aids, or some other infectious disease had used the razor.
    Be absolutely certain when you do use it that it is completely rinsed from the instrument
    that was disinfected. Allowing bleach (even small amounts of dilute bleach) to contact your face can be a very enlightening (and unpleasant) experience.

Bleach is an indiscriminate killer of almost all germs and bacteria, even the good ones that protect you from disease and infections.

Be careful.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  12. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I am one and done with blades. After each shave, I toss the blade and quickly dry the razor.
    Once in a while, I will do a scrubbing bubbles soak every two weeks or so to make the razor shiny again.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I do pretty much what Gorgo does. I'll rinse them after use and if I see some spotting or something I'll take care of it right then. As they're all mine there's no need to disinfect them.

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Use it. Rinse it. Dry it. Reload it. Store it. Repeat.

Herm2502 likes this.
  15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

If we're talking about maintenance cleaning, I just soak a batch in a tub of Simple Green and scrub with a toothbrush. This only happens when I see a lot of soap scum accumulated on the razor. I hate the smell of Simple Green but it's the shizna. Daily, I just wipe off a razor at blade change. That could be anywhere from 2-5 shaves depending on whim.

As far as disinfection, I use Barbicide. This is only at change of possession though. If I buy, clean and Barbicide. If I sell, or PIF, clean and Barbicide.

16. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I rinse and dry my razor after each use. I remove the blade, dry it, and hand stop it 30 times on each side. Then replace the blade. The blade is tossed after three shaves.

17. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

After each use I rinse and clean my Razor. When I change out my blade in my razor, before I do that I will clean it with "Hot Soapy Water" Rinse it again with "hot water" then "I
    soak it in Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol " Let it "Air Dry" put a new blade in and then it's ready for another "Shave"
    When I am "traveling, I do almost the same procedure, but I use "Alcohol Wipes"
    That is one of the reasons I like my "Weber 3pc. Razor" I can take it apart to clean it.

Bristle Me likes this.
  18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this statement. Although if you are a Diabetic you really need to keep your razor clean, the smallest cut or nick can become a disaster.

19. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I don't do any more than rinse after shaving and a very infrequent total scrub with a hot, wet towel. I wonder if there is an age/experience breakdown on who meticulously cleans after each shave, at blade changes or rarely? Seems likely that those of us who "grew up" wet shaving from the 40's or 50's, some even earlier, are less likely to be so meticulous since that was not the normal practice back then nor was it encouraged or even recommended by the various razor manufacturers.

If you have a plated Zamak razor you better be very sure the plating is intact everywhere before you think about soaking it in bleach or any other harsh, corrosive liquid.

Bristle Me likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good caveat. I have a cute little 3" tall Barbicide jar with steel lid. It's empty now but would be holding disinfectant atop the sink if I needed to disinfect frequently.

PatrickA51 likes this.