Closed Comb, Open Comb, Slant Bar????

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by helpme!, Nov 4, 2008.

1. helpme!

helpme! New Member

Hey Everyone,

I am here trying to do a little research on safety razors. I am shopping around for my husband for Christmas and want to find him a nice razor, but I don't know crap about the difference in blades. What the heck is a closed comb, open comb, and slant bar??? My husband isn't a super furry faced guy, but in the winter he grows a beard. He can go a couple of days without needing to shave, but he does get some stubble. I know he HATES disposable razors, because he doesn't feel that he gets a close shave. Any advice? I appreciate the help. I'm super clueless right now!

:confused:

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Ohhhhh boy did you open up a can of worms. An open comb is just that, the safety bar is open and allows for more hair to get through and is easier to use with longer or thicker hair. It is not necessary. Slant bars have slanted safety bars and are considered to be more aggressive than the other two. Closed comb is just a plain safety bar. Most people consider the Merkur HD with a closed comb to be a great beginner razor. I would suggest one of those. Second I would Suggest going to Razorandbrush.com and ordering him a blade sample pack. It gives you the option to try lots of different blades to decide what fits you best. I would also suggest ordering 10-100 of just one type of blade for him to start off with so he can first get the technique down. You may want to get him a whole bunch of the Gillette 7 O'clocks that are in The Shave Den store. You'll also want to get him a brush, most likely badger. There are many different types and brands but there are some gorgeous quality hand made brushes in The Shave Den store as well. With that you'll need to get him some quality creams or soaps. Samples can be had from The Shave Den store as well. Any more questions just ask.

3. helpme!

helpme! New Member

Thanks! And I always thought a razor was a razor!!!

4. JayKay

Nope, not at all. But really the first step would be a brush and cream/soap. Its the biggest change. The razor is great and deffinetly helps, but there are those who get good shaves with cartridge razors and a brush.

I would suggest you put together the whole set. There are starter sets that can be had from Razor and Brush but you may be better off getting higher quality products and starting him off right. May even want to get him a vintage razor from the BST forum here.

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Don't bother with open combs and slants at this point. There are arguments over which is best, but in general, open comb razors and slants are thought to be much more aggressive than a closed comb. They expose more of the blade to the face, and thus have a higher risk of nicking the face if you don't use proper technique. The closed comb is probably best for somebody just getting into all of this. For new razors, the Merkur HD is a good start, or the Merkur Classic - same razor head, different weight of handle. Both would make a good starter razor, and are good quality for a decent price (keep in mind they are more expensive than your disposable razors, but then they are meant to last a lifetime, not just until the next gimmicky razor is introduced).

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think you'll want to state how much you're looking to spend. A decent starter set can be put together for about $60 (you can get cheaper, but I wouldn't):
    New Weishi or vintage Gillette Razor: $20
    Entry level badger or nice boar brush: $20
    Decent cream or soap: $10
    Basic blade sample pack: $10

You could also buy a $120 razor, $300 silvertip badger with some exotic handle, a $50 soap in a fancy ceramic dish, and a $60 blade sampler pack that would take over 2 years to get through. That adds to $530, and we haven't even started on the other luxeries like scuttles, aftershaves, brush and razor stands, etc. that aren't needed, but look nice and/or add a little extra to the experience.

Given that range, let us know where you're looking in terms of price and you'll get some good advice.

7. helpme!

helpme! New Member

I definitely think anything over $130 is out of my range right now. I kind of like the idea of getting a starter set going for him--and that way over the years, I'll be able to get him other items to upgrade. Thanks, guys! I really do appreciate the help! :)

8. JayKay

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

At that range, if you have a Crabtree & Evelyn store near where you live, I highly recommend a C&E Best Badger Brush ($35). You can't get a better brush for the money. Even if he doesn't like the DE razor, he may continue using a brush, so this is the least risky item to spend a little more on. Be sure you're actually getting the correct brush, it is the smaller size of the brushes C&E carries and will say "Best Badger" on the handle. The pure badger brushes are OK, but not nearly as good of a deal. The larger Best Badger brushes are significantly more expensive and would either blow your budget or cause you to skimp on another item.

A blade sample pack can be purchased at West Coast Shaving http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2, or Razor and Brush http://www.razorandbrush.com/Sampler.html. I'd recommend one with 5-10 blade choices. I purchased a slightly larger one, but don't think it was worth it. You could also order a pack of several blades from the Shave Den Store as a DIY sampler.

Razor choices are Weishi (all basically the same), Parker (get one of the three piece models available at The Shave Den Store), Merkur (available many places, get the HD or classic with closed comb/straight bar), or a vintage Gillette Superspeed or Tech (visit antique stores). I have a vintage Superspeed, but I've heard good about all these razors.

I'm currently exploring soaps and creams myself, so I'll defer to others on this. JayKay seems to know his high end creams and soaps very well, and most high end creams and soaps are under $30, with many under $20, so you won't get into too much trouble here.

This seems about what you'll be looking to spend on each item to get the best overall value:
    Razor $20 - $40
    Brush $35 - $50
    Blade Sampler $10 - $15
    Soap or Cream $15 - $30 (if soap, get a nice bowl or mug for it. You can do this at Walmart, Target, etc. to save money and not miss out on anyting)
    Total $80-$135 so anything except the top of every range and you'll get quality items in each catagory within your budget. If you keep to the middle of each catagory, you'll have plenty left to get a good aftershave splash or balm to go with the kit.

10. helpme!

helpme! New Member

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help! I was flying blind here. :D I'm no longer confused!

11. Good info given! Come back and tell us what you got!