*DONE* PIF - Strop Shoppe Baker Street soap

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by PLAla, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

The TSD community is wonderfully generous. I have been the beneficiary of lots of generosity from the members here and like to try and give back to continue that legacy.

Available in this PIF is a tub of Strop Shoppe Baker Street soap. This is unobtainium. I was given several soaps by an anonymous TSD member a couple of years ago and this soap was included in that batch. I have used it with great satisfaction and want to pass it along to a new owner.

I am going to steal a method that my friend @Primotenore has used and limit this to members who have at least 93 trophy points. No PIF hunters.

Simply say "I'm in" to be included, but in the spirit of generosity and passing forward I would love to hear any stories you'd like to share of how someone has helped you in an unexpected way. Doesn't have to be related to shaving but certainly can be.

I will run this PIF until interest wanes, but probably no longer than 10 days.

Good luck!

IMG_0061.jpg

Entrants:
    1. Spock
    2. Jimjo1031
    3. killerflyingbugs
    4. DaltonGang
    5. Paul Turner
    6. GatorJoe
    7. jtspartan

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Enrico, Paul76, Primotenore and 9 others like this.
  2. PLAla

I'll start with a story that happened to me a couple of weeks ago. This doesn't directly affect me but it made a positive difference in the students I teach.

We are traveling to Washington DC in April to perform in the National Cherry Blossom Parade. (many of you know that I am a high school band director). A family with two kids reserved four spots so the whole family could go but then had to change plans and only needed two spots. They were due a refund of some money due to the change. I contacted the father and gave him a couple of options for the refund. He emailed back and asked if there was a kid who may be struggling financially on the trip cost. I told him there was as one case had popped up around that time. He told me to keep the refund and apply it for that student's trip. His words were "as God has blessed us, so we should bless others". It was an incredible display of kindness.

dmshaver, Hembree, Paul76 and 8 others like this.
  3. Oasisdave

Oasisdave Active Member; radioactive

I still have a Baker Street soap from Strop Shoppe, very nice soap and great scent. Very nice PIF!

Not in but someone's going to receive a nice soap!

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Wonderful PIF, though not in. Very generous.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

PLAla likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great PIF Perry! I've got a tub of London Morning (?) in the same base - it's good soap and no longer available. So I'm not in, but encourage folks that are fans of tallow soaps to sign up.

A Story? When I was young my father couldn't resist stopping if he saw a pile of junk someone was throw out. I don't recall anything in particular, but he surely found treasure in other peoples trash. Fast forward -I drive a Ford Ranger pickup truck. If I spot a street side trash pile that looks like someone cleaned out their garage I stop. Over the last decade I've recovered, cleaned, and repaired many push lawn mowers & bicycles. In most cases the mowers only needed simple maintenance; oil & spark plug, maybe clean out the gas tank. There are several young men in my neighborhood that make Summer time money cutting lawns with free mowers. I've gifted the same guys bikes that might need a couple inner tubes. Since they now have a source of income they can afford a trip to WalMart. "Give a man a fish - or teach him to fish..." I hope they take the lesson that they can provide for themselves. As a side effect I don't have to cut my own grass, but I do tip to keep them in gas money.

Robert1955, brit, dmshaver and 5 others like this.
  6. PLAla

Nice story, Rick!

brit and RyX like this.
  7. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

I'm in! Never tried that soap so it looks very interesting.

As far as a story goes...I've received help unexpectedly at times from many generous people. I try to give back in the same vein. One story comes to mind. I remember I was driving back from Atlanta to Orlando in late december just after I had purchased my first car ever at 18 years of age. I was super happy with my sports car and have a lot of happy memories in my Dodge Stealth. So as I'm driving about 75ish on I-75 south I suddenly hear this loud boom and my car start swerving...one of my tires had just blown up on me and was losing pressure fast...I don't know if I hit a nail or what but I somehow managed to get the car from all the way in the left lane to the curb on the side four lanes over. I was pretty shaken up as it was pretty late at night and freezing cold. I tried using my Nokia cell phone to no avail as there was no signal. This were the early cell phones that were not smartphones. :p I look at the tire and it's busted pretty bad..the car is leaning on the wheel slash rotor as there wasn't much tire left. I at first try to see if I can put on my spare but having never changed a tire in my life I was facing an uphill battle. I discover to my horror that my car has wheel locks and I was never given the wheel key so no way to even put on a spare. At this point It's late at night...freezing cold...no cell phone signal...and no one who could even see me waving frantically on the side of the highway trying to get anyone to stop for help. I'm feeling pretty dispirited at this point as the only option seemed to be to hike to the next exit not knowing how far the next exit was. At least 6 miles..maybe more..not a hike I was looking forward to...finally resigning myself to the long walk I lock up my car and start hoofing...about 3 minutes into the walk I see a pair of headlights heading my way...It was these two guys who looked to be about my age. They stopped when they saw me and asked me if I needed help. They said they somehow noticed this beautiful car with the blinkers on and decided they should come help! They had gone past me but had taken the next exit and drove opposite of the traffic 8 miles on the curb to get to me. I Explained the situation and they gave me a ride to my car and looked with me to decide if there was to get the spare on. No dice. So they were kind enough to drive me to the next exit from where I called Triple AAA. They even waited with me until AAA arrived to take me to my car to get it towed! I asked them if there was anyway I could repay them and they said my thanks was all that was required. I was deeply touched that they went out of there way to come help a total stranger! It's amazing how many truly generous people there really are in the world. I could only imagine what my night would have been like if they had not come to help!

brit, RyX, dmshaver and 3 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm in as I've never tried that soap.

My story also similar to @Spock's. My first car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE with a 383 Magnum. One night I was driving on 490 West in Rochester NY heading home after a night out with friends. For some reason the expressway lights were out on a certain section and I didn't see a 4x4 piece of wood. I admit I was going a bit over the speed limit and hit it pretty hard. Well, when I got out to change the tire, I wasn't happy. Both of my tires were out on the right side. So I put my spare on the front and just sat on the ground for a while and smoked a couple of cigarettes. After about 20 minutes I decided to walk to a restaurant that wasn't too far when a car pulled behind mine. A guy got out and asked if he could help, he recognized my car as he lived near me and was on his way to bring his girlfriend home. I told him my situation and he let me use his spare as he was driving a Plymouth, a Satellite if I remember correctly. He helped me put it on, and gave me a beer also, I needed it. Then I went home, put my new mags and tires on, which I just bought from a friend, and luckily they weren't the ones damaged. And the next day he stopped by and picked up his spare and we went to a local bar and I bought him a few drinks and wings.

brit, RyX, dmshaver and 2 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Generous PIF, Perry. Not in.

PLAla likes this.
  10. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

I'll put my hat in the ring for this, here is my story.

When Hurricane Irma trashed my house, my little sister flew from Japan to help me clean up, I was so happy because my wife and kids were in NYC evacuated and I was down here with out any help.

Paul Turner, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. PLAla

Thanks for the great stories! You three are in.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Thank you sir!

PLAla likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm in. I enjoy trying new scents, and havent tried any from the Strop Shop. If it doesnt agree with me, i will PIF it.

PLAla likes this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Beautiful story! Not just a hand out but a hand up!

RyX and PLAla like this.
  15. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Wonderful stories, it's good for the heart to read about kindness. Respectfully not in as I recently was the recipient of a generous pif.

16. PLAla

Bump. Any more interest?

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in Perry! And for the story, I'll gladly repeat the story I told at my Mom's memorial service of a particular way she helped me. This won't be word for word, so I suppose a summary would be best. All throughout my schooling, I'd been struggling to do well....it led to me not enjoying school too well(although I did enjoy 2nd-5th grade, in schools in Palo Alto, CA, and Washington, DC). I left my first college, as my Mom said she had a chance to put me into a college with a learning disability program. I got in, and had 4 wonderful years at that college, graduating with a BA in 1981. It was so nice to know that others were in the same boat as me. Without my mom's help, I simply wouldn't have known what the rest of my college life was going to be. .

PLAla likes this.
  18. PLAla

You're in, Paul! Thanks for the story.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hey, that's great you guys will be in DC for the Cherry Blossom Parade!!! Congrats on being chosen, Perry :). And what a nice story.

PLAla likes this.
  20. PLAla

Thanks! We're looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.