Closest thing to Polsilver Super Iridium?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CliffDweller, Jul 10, 2022.

1. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Hi - I just cracked open my last 100-pack of Polsilver Super Iridium blades. I don't know if they got discontinued or are just hard to find due to the Ukraine/Russia conflict, but they're crazy-expensive if you can even find them, where they used to be priced quite well. Something like $1/blade, which is cray-cray.

Any recommendations for a similar blade? To me Polsilver's are the perfect blend of sharp-but-not-too sharp and smoothness.

I also have a bunch of Voskhod's that I'll probably use next -- I do like those but they're a little less sharp than Polsilvers, and I feel a slight tug when I shave with them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like Polsilver blades also, but like you said, very high in price. In my opinion, Gillette Nacet and Platinum blades are good substitutions. I like them both very much.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: , but I really like Gillette Perma-Sharps and I think the price is very reasonable on ebay.

:)

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Heard good things about them, but haven't tried them yet

5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

To me, lots of the St Petersburg blades feel pretty close to each other. Gillette Silver Blue, Perma-Sharp, or 7o'clock Yellows would all be suitable substitutes. But if it's the sanctions making them hard to find, they'll affect all those too. Tatra blades in the blue pack from the Czech Republic feel close enough to SI's IMO. I don't like the Indian Gillette blades as well but some people say they're just as good as the Russian ones for them. Maybe worth a try.

6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

It's been a while, but I seem to recall Rapira's Sweedish Supersteel was similar, though maybe also in price.

CliffDweller likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've tried about everything out there, popular wise, not obscure blades. I like the Gillette 7 O Clock sharp Edge(yellows). Sharp, smooth, long lasting, and still somewhat inexpensive

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    +1 on the Gillette Silver Blues. Just as sharp, and a tad bit less smooth than Polsilvers. Astra SP is not as sharp, but just as smooth as Polsilvers.

I've heard that the Czech made Tatra blades are a very close substitute, but I haven't tried those blades yet.

CliffDweller and brit like this.
  9. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Great price here from Amazon too, less than 10 bucks shipped if you have prime shipping.
    Perma-Sharp Double Edge Safety Razor Blades, 100 Count, (20 packs of 5 blades on a display card) https://a.co/d/4gM3u1q

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Good Price for good blades. I purchased that exact item from Amazon in 2015 and it was $16.77 at the time.

11. brit

brit in a box

awk-m4, Aztecmike and CliffDweller like this.
  12. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions.

I do have some Gillette Silver Blues and Yellows (7 O’Clocks) that I haven’t used in years but I have never tried Perma-Sharps, so I’ll pick up a few to try them out.

I think I’ll try a “taste test” of different blades to see what my face likes the best to prepare for when I run out of my Polsilvers. I used a Feather blade for the first time in 4 or 5 years this weekend and am pleased to report it was a great shave, vs last time I tried them I got a bunch of nicks. So either I’ve gotten better at shaving over the years or they became less sharp sitting in the drawer for so many years.

Who knew the Shave-pocalypse would actually arrive and I’d be without Polsilvers after going through 5 years’ worth. . Still have 99 blades left, so I will enjoy them while I still have them, sort of like how I’m also going through my final bottle of Floid Blue. Maybe I’ll time it out so that my final Polsilver blade shave coincides with my final Floid Blue Splash.