Cocktail/Bar Book Library and some questions.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Weasel640, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I recently discovered this online Library the other day: https://www.collectif1806.com/library/

It's a collection of over 200 Cocktail/Bar Guides dating back to the 1800s. They have scanned them in as searchable text. It's pretty nifty, lets say you want an Egg Nogg recipe, you can search these, and you get over 80 books with multiple Egg Nogg recipes. Some of these books are pretty hard to find, and like rare vintage Razors, when they do come up they are either overpriced or tons of people are all over trying to buy them. So it's cool that they have made them available to everyone. The only thing missing is the old book smell.

So in the earlier ones the unit of measure: "do." and later "ditto" is used, I'm assuming they are both the same unit of measurement, but how do they equate to ounces today?

Also you see "Wine Glass", "Pony Glass", and "Jigger" used as units. What were the standard sizes back at the turn of the century? Ten, and Five ounces?

Here is the main site where they have more pictures/info/and recipes...: https://www.collectif1806.com/

2. brit

brit in a box

very cool,thank you for posting it .i can see a vintage cocktail and a shave..

RyX likes this.
  3. Weasel640

Sure thing. I have a few of these. Great references, but having them on digits will make it much quicker to find things...

brit likes this.
  4. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Thanks for sharing this cool resource.

Yes do. and ditto are the same and mean the same unit of measure as the ingredient above it.

wine glass = 4 fl oz
    pony glass = 1 fl oz
    jigger = 1.5 fl oz

richgem, RyX, Weasel640 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Weasel640

Thanks. Was just figuring that out reading though more. I guess it was easier for them to load a pre-made block for "do." or "ditto" rather than re-loading more letters, back in the print press days...

RyX and brit like this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I wonder where "do" comes from. I an familiar with ditto.

Odd that they didn't just use a ditto mark.

brit likes this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Do is the abbreviation for ditto, from what I'm reading online. It seems like a bad abbreviation in my opinion. Ditto marks are far more succinct.

brit likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just guessing, but maybe it was a resource thing back in the day of hand-set type... more "d"s and "o"s available than quote marks. "Di" might have been thought confusing as an abbreviation, at least in recipes, given that it's also a prefix meaning "two."

brit likes this.