Coctails

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BigMike, Feb 2, 2018.

1. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

It's a shame that coctails seem to have nearly vanished from our culture. I suppose it's the result of the surge in craft beers, California wines, and single malt scotches, combined with a general decline in alcohol consumption in the younger generation. But whatever the cause, I threw a coctail party last month and found that most of my guests had little notion of what a coctail even was.
    An old bar-tending book of mine defines the coctail as alcohol, sugar, water, and a garnish. The alcohol part is straight-forward enough, though a lot of license is allowed in the remaining ingredients. Ice frequently provides the water, while it seems like nearly anything might be passed off as sugar. Some claim, for instance, that vermouth counts as sugar in a Martini. I find that a bit difficult to swallow, especially when many bartenders confide that their measure of vermouth entails glancing at the bottle. Now, I like a good Martini as much as the next James Bond loving guy (sometimes even sans vermouth), but I don't consider it a true coctail.
    So, allow me to share one of my favorite coctail recipes with you. It's amenable sweetness is suited to gents and ladies both. And it's a must-have for anyone who appreciates Tiki bars, Polynesia, or mid century modern decore. Yes, I'm talking about the Mai Tai... that classic Trader Vics recipe. Which is important to note because, a. there's also a less well known Don the Beachcomber version but, more importantly, b. an awful lot of misguided folks seem to be under the mistaken impression that they can pour a shot of rum into any kind of fruit juice and label it a Mai Tai. Let's make sure you're not one of those sorry lot.
    To get right down to it, the Mai Tai consists of fresh lime juice, light rum, dark rum, an orange liquor called curacao (cur-a-so), and a bit of orgeat (which is a sweet non-alcoholic almond syrup). Shake it on ice and serve over ice with a wedge of the lime you juiced and a sprig of mint. You aren't allowed to cheat by omitting the mint sprig, or by substituting pineapple juice in place of the lime and orgeat. I mean you can, but if you call your concoction a Mai Tai, I'll call you a liar.
    On to some of the finer points. The lime can be either a regular lime or a Key lime. Clasically, it's a Key lime, which is smaller and with a more distinctive bitterness. Either will do in my book; they'll taste a bit different depending on your choice, of course, but that's part of the fun of coctails. And don't bother with the hastle of a juicer, just slice the lime through its circumference and drive a fork into the flesh. A few pokes and twists and you're done. I've experimented with a variety of orange liquors, including Conitreau, Grand Marnier, and generic triple sec, but none seem to provide that classic Mai Tai taste like orange curacao. For the light rum I use Bacardi gold, and for the dark I like Gosling's Black Seal. You can float the dark rum on top at the end, but I prefer to mix it in with the shake. Finally, there's the mint sprig. Place it in the palm of your hand and give it a good whack by clapping it with your other hand. This will make the mint scent really sing, which is essential in a great Mai Tai.
    The final recipe, then, is...
    The fresh juice of one lime or two Key limes. 1.5 oz gold rum. 0.5 oz of orange curacao, 0.5 oz. of dark rum, and a wee 0.5 oz of orgeat. Shake well but gently with ice. Garnish with mint and lime. Coctail umbrella for the ladies. DSC_1677.JPG

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Technically, cocktails aren't that old. They were 'invented', or 'developed' during Prohibition. Mixed drinks were around before that, but adding all sorts of extra syrups and juices were to cover up the fact that the alcohol was often pretty bad, and even when done right, was often pretty flavour and colourless. (Corn whiskey, or moonshine, or potato vodka)

Edit -

Oh - the 'Vesper' hasn't been capable of being made since.. 1986? Kina Lillit disappeared from the market, because they removed the quinine. There are some alternatives, if you like that flavour - which was in a lot of mixed drinks.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/why-you-cant-drink-original-james-bond-martini-2015-9

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Keithmax and BigMike like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I used to really enjoy Martinis (gin) I'd switch gin brands depending upon the bar inventory mood, food, or upon recommendation of an obviously accomplished mixologist.

Dry, shaken really hard, up and three green olives on the side. Bruise the gin? Yes. Beat it up. Really liked raw oysters with a touch of fresh horseradish to accompany, when available. Consume rather briskly, as martinis, though potent, taste best when crackling cold and fully aerated. IMHO anyway....

Cool thread. I'll be reading for fun.

BigMike and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I always felt a Manhattan was a sophisticated shortcut to drinking shots. Manhattans and White Russians are my drugs of choice.

MR41 and BigMike like this.
  5. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

My own concoction, although it’s probably a variation of an existing unbeknownst to me cocktail...

One shot of gold or dark rum. (Prefer Bacardi gold or black, black seal is ok too, but will be sweeter)
    2oz or so of coconut water.
    A few shakes of Angostura bitters
    Usually served on the rocks

If you need a garnish to make it a true cocktail, use a mint leaf or two. Do not be tempted to add lime or use as a garnish, just doesn’t work. You can add a tablespoon or so of pineapple juice for acidity if wanted. Garnishing with a little pineapple chunk on a toothpick is ok too.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Manhattan is Whiskey martini, in essence. Classic. White Russians should be illegal for anyone under 25.

barbersurgeon and Keithmax like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm allergic to alcohol, at least most of it. Something in the fermentation process. I have a bottle of gin to try.. tonight might be okay to do it. I don't dare do it when I might need to work the next day, as the allergic reaction is interesting. I'm looking at trying gin because it's double distilled, and that might have removed what affects me. Nyquil doesn't seem to do much damage other than the sleepytime antihistamine included (doxylamine succinate), so I'd probably be all right with moonshine as well. It's just hard to justify buying a whole bottle of alcohol for two sips, then probably give it away.

Kilgore Trout and Keithmax like this.
  8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

:happy108:

9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I do enjoy a White Russian.
    Why illegal?:)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

I have this theory that the easier a drink is to drink too quickly, the more judgement should be required to do it. White Russians are basically like chocalate milk for bad people and sorority girls. People under 25, for the good of humanity, should stick to light beer and cheap whiskey like GAWD intended. It's safer for everyone. You've been to Tuscaloosa.

BigMike, Kilgore Trout and Keithmax like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That’s Awesome:) And has merit:)

Kilgore Trout and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

There's nothing quite like a morning after a long night fueled by Brass Monkey.

Kilgore Trout, Bama Samurai and MR41 like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

There's nothing like a night of brass monkey.

cmorris357 likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My first drink was a black Russian, given to me by my grandmother when I was 14. Her favorite drink was an old fashion, I was her favorite grandchild because I always had the fixings ready when she visited.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

It's cool. Grandma knows best.

Keithmax likes this.
  16. Keithmax

She did know Best, she made me promise not get married before I turned 30. She told me when you are young you’re ignorant, you can’t tell the difference between good sex and leave and will make a bad decision. :scared011:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

But it's fun to be young and stupid! ;)

BigMike and Keithmax like this.
  18. Keithmax

Yes it is

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Sorry I'll admit it I'm some what drunk and have only read the first few sentences of this post. I disagree cocktails are alive and well. I have books upon books with cocktail recipes. Some from the 30s just because it's good to have classic references. It's our responsibility to instill the value of these classic and fresh (freshly squeezed) recipes into our younger generation. For instance I recently gave one of my extra 1972 Trader Vic Drink books to my soon to be Nephew in law because: 1) I had an extra one 2) he was very interested in the drinks I was making. Not the normal drunk kid interested (yes he's over 21). And 3) When I showed him my books he was in awe of the age and the classic old book smell.

There is another issue at play that we must consider as well. Ingredients are ever changing. As we move forward people are always making less fresh short cuts to those drinks. What had been available is not any more, etc, etc. For instance if I look at a cocktail recipe that calls for Demerara Rum, where exactly am I going to get that? In Arizona where I live the distributer has snuffed that niche Rum out. So we must start with what we know and adapt with what we have.

For instance these are available here now. So 0ne part of each Coffee Liqueur, Irish Cream, and a Pumpkin Rum make an excellent night cap. And yes that is Papa Smurf in the background just realize it was left out from when my wife was baby sitting the other Grand Niece. Because family takes care of family...: IMG_20180203_201137_998.jpg

BigMike likes this.
  20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Sounds like a winner. I'm going to try it.

barbersurgeon likes this.