Coffee Pot

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by TraderJoe, Sep 27, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yeah, yeah Aeropress. blah, blah, blah.

I want a coffee pot. A good one. Coffe Machine. Whatever its called :D

Do they exist without ANY plastic parts? (aside from maybe a knob or on/off switch).

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I think I asked the wrong question. I need something to make the coffee too. I do have a grinder.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Technivorm

Funny,
    but Im in the market as well.
    Look into these products and do a peek-sie into the www.coffeegeek.com site.
    Good info and LOTS of it.
    On a side note....do you have a French Press?

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

No. The only thing I have is a "Cuisinart" thing I got at Costco about 4 years ago. The "Grind n Brew"

Too much plastic. I am looking for something with little to no plastic. Does that exist?

I do also have a standalone grinder.

6. rick

Buy A French Press 1st and see if you like the results.
    Its pretty cheap and the coffee can be very good.
    The cup is very dependant on the quality of your grind so be careful.
    Too fine and you get a slugdey cup.
    *Grind it course.
    *Boil water and let it sit for about 30 sec b4 adding to the grinds.
    *Pour over grinds, stir all together and let sit for a cuppa minutes.
    *Stir again and plunge slowly, but evenly for about 30 sec.

Pretty good, if you ask me ::

7. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I'll second that

I agree totally with Rick's suggestion. I've owned pretty much every electric coffee maker available through the years and imo none come close to providing the quality cup you get with the press. One of the reasons is that few electrics get the water hot enough to correctly extract the oils from the grind, and even fewer let the water stay in contact with the grind for the optimal amount of time.
    Is your grinder a blade type or burr type? I find it very hard to get the correct grind for a press from a blade grinder. I use a german made old school hand operated burr grinder and for me it works great. Makes alot less noise too! Not that much of an investment and I think you'll be pleased. Good Luck.

8. rick

Chris:

Thats my next purchase.....
    Burr Grinder

Any you would recommend ?
    Ive been thinking about a Zassenhaus (sp?)

9. Sailinblues

That's the one. Mine is model # 156bu. Works great, no heat applied to the beans during the grinding process. My wife bought me a Cuisinart electric burr which works well enough but will wake the entire house; conservatively 115+ decibels. Hearing protection required. I don't need that at 3 a.m.!

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

Those Zassenhaus (sp?) are cool, but I think they require alot of cranking to produce the grinds, I'm not sure how much they produce either...

I do like them though...would be fun for camping / power outage...

12. Padron

Padron Active Member

I love my Mazzer Mini Rick, it was spendy but I think it will be passed down to the kids....it's built like a tank..

13. Sailinblues

Padron is right on about the cranking, I have a 1 Liter press and have to fill the grinder twice to get the right amount of coffee. The whole process takes me 3-4 minutes. Well worth it to me, it makes a fantastic cup.

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow, thats great..I would have thought it would take longer than the 3-4 minutes, not bad at all..

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

16. Padron

Padron Active Member

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have a Bodum French Press, 2 AeroPresses and a Cuisinart DCC-1200 Coffee Maker

The AeroPress makes the best coffee followed by the Bodum French Press. The Cuisinart is for large batches of coffee that go into a thermal carafe.

18. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I personally prefer the Eileen model. A good quality grinder that produces an even grind is absolutely crucial. There are many good brands: Rancilio, Macap, Mazzer, Elektra, etc. you name it. The grinder is probably more important than the coffee machine.

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Yukio,

I thought you had a Mazzer Mini too, my memory could be failing me though..:confused:

Any new photos lately?? I need a fix :)

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Anybody know about these contraptions:

[​IMG]